ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

We need chips too.

I just talked to a Toyota rep who said cars are coming with only one key and an IOU.

Demand for hybrids is high, but the gas cars are easier to produce because they have fewer chips. So they are less susceptible to supply chain issues.

The best mileage I ever noticed on my 2017 gas CRV was a trip from Belleayre to the Sunoco that is down in Kingston on Route 28. It's pretty much downhill all the way and you are forced (to some degree) to drive the speed limit.
Well, shoot, Harv, what was it. Come on, dish!

Best MPG I ever got was leaving Prospect Mt in the diesel shooting brake. Descending into Bennington, 95 mpg for 6 miles LOL. That all went away climbing when you get on the Bennington bypass tho.

I think it was in the 60s but not sure?

I spent the weekend at Watkins Glen for the IMSA race. Just before the 6hr race went off, Porsche gave an exhibition of their all new EV race car. While the lack of exhaust note was extremely sad, holy shit was that thing wicked. What an amazing car.

I suggest, for anyone into sports cars, hit up an IMSA race near you. Pure car racing, 5 classes all at once, with hours of nonstop racing action.

Love Watkins Glen. At least when I went after college it was a great place to watch a race. They let you walk around the entire circuit, so you could check out all the corners, where the action is.

We saw one race that was all Volkswagens.

The other was Porsche and BMW. Porsches blow by on the straights, Beemers made it up in the corners.

This will be a game changer if it comes to fruition. Toyota appears to be moving full speed ahead on solid state batteries and other battery technology. 700-900 mile range with 15-20 minute charge times? Wow!

Reactions: MC2
I've saw that last week. The way I understand it, this is not a slam dunk, and that Toyota felt they had to make this announcement.

Hope that's wrong.

IMO the only way EVs are really future is if batteries do make a huge leap ahead before hydrogen or whatever.

Solid state batteries are coming. No doubt. When that happens ice will be sunset naturally. I'm at a quick charger now. It's taking me 20 minutes to get the juice I need to get home tonight...I think

I spent the weekend at Watkins Glen for the IMSA race. Just before the 6hr race went off, Porsche gave an exhibition of their all new EV race car. While the lack of exhaust note was extremely sad, holy shit was that thing wicked. What an amazing car.

I suggest, for anyone into sports cars, hit up an IMSA race near you. Pure car racing, 5 classes all at once, with hours of nonstop racing action.
My last time at the Glen was for the 1982 US Grand Prix. My buddy and I camped out. Day before the race, we were tromping around and wandered into, I think it was called the Swamp. Huge party zone People had pushed a VW bug down into a pit and set it on fire. NY State Police came out and shot tear gas everywhere to disperse the crowd.

Nuthin' like the sound of a Ford Cosworth V8.

Back