ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Hmm I think I said this about a month ago

Ford CEO warns Tesla about ‘product freshness,’ believes their EVs are becoming commodities

Why does the Ford guy care about Tesla ("warning" them?)

The focus should be on making batteries better, lighter and less harmful.

I guess the Ford guy is saying demand will suffer. If you drop the weight of batteries in half, I bet that will create some demand.

ETA: found this:

So I guess another way to innovate is to try to reduce the cost of assembly to bring the price down.

Why does the Ford guy care about Tesla ("warning" them?)

The focus should be on making batteries better, lighter and less harmful.

I guess the Ford guy is saying demand will suffer. If you drop the weight of batteries in half, I bet that will create some demand.

ETA: found this:

So I guess another way to innovate is to try to reduce the cost of assembly to bring the price down.
Ford couldn't figure out how to sell cars so they got out of the business.
2022:

Dom, any input on the updates?
I don't have this one yet. They get rolled out over time (I think so that if they have bugs it doesn't toast all the cars). I will probably have it sometime between now and next ten days.

There are a lot of cool items but I think the one I will like the most is control over charge level in 1% increments so I can just charge to 50% during the week when the car doesn't get driven much. Right now you can only charge to 70, 85, and 100 (which is fine too).

Pretty much every update has made the car better. One time after one update my car randomly was acting wierd for a day or two when I would try to lock or unlock it.

20230503_161816.jpg

The Prius is actually pretty functional if you forget about it's complete lack of acceleration. I like how easy the seat folds down and it folds completely flat. Bike goes right in.

Keeping my own running total for MPG now. 270 miles, 58.2 mpg.

View attachment 20132
The Prius is actually pretty functional if you forget about it's complete lack of acceleration. I like how easy the seat folds down and it folds completely flat. Bike goes right in.

Keeping my own running total for MPG now. 270 miles, 58.2 mpg.
If you can keep your front wheel on while loading a bike, your cargo space is more than big enough!

Hatchbacks are so underrated. Why anyone buys sedans is beyond me (unless it is meant to be a sportscar, but even then... you could get a hot hatch). My hatch always has the back seats folded down.

I really like the new Prius. Great looks, solid power now, and still great MPG. But it has some massive draw backs. Lack of rear wiper is a non-starter for winter driving. Sun roof doesn't open (boo!). Traction control turn-off does not have a button (maybe it is buried in a menu, if it exists at all, but a menu isn't ideal for winter driving). While it has increased ground clearance (6" on the top trim, supposedly), I am tired of being fearful of high centering (always carry a shovel, hate having to use it).

I wish there were better hybrid options available for lifted hatches. It seems like most manufacturers are targeting their "compact SUVs" for hybrids. Those things weigh a ton and their real world highway gas mileage and winter mileage are usually WAY below EPA ratings. The new Corolla Cross Hybrid is currently in a segment all by itself (too bad it looks lame, lacks competitive features, and has a pedestrian interior).

I suspect the push for more expensive full EVs may be taking innovation away from potential hybrids. Some may see hybrids as a stop gap prior to full EV adoption. But they are the best option for many people, especially those that cannot afford EVs or cannot charge at their residence. Many cars have hybrids available in other markets that don't come to the US.

If you can keep your front wheel on while loading a bike, your cargo space is more than big enough!

Hatchbacks are so underrated. Why anyone buys sedans is beyond me (unless it is meant to be a sportscar, but even then... you could get a hot hatch). My hatch always has the back seats folded down.

I really like the new Prius. Great looks, solid power now, and still great MPG. But it has some massive draw backs. Lack of rear wiper is a non-starter for winter driving. Sun roof doesn't open (boo!). Traction control turn-off does not have a button (maybe it is buried in a menu, if it exists at all, but a menu isn't ideal for winter driving). While it has increased ground clearance (6" on the top trim, supposedly), I am tired of being fearful of high centering (always carry a shovel, hate having to use it).

I wish there were better hybrid options available for lifted hatches. It seems like most manufacturers are targeting their "compact SUVs" for hybrids. Those things weigh a ton and their real world highway gas mileage and winter mileage are usually WAY below EPA ratings. The new Corolla Cross Hybrid is currently in a segment all by itself (too bad it looks lame, lacks competitive features, and has a pedestrian interior).

I suspect the push for more expensive full EVs may be taking innovation away from potential hybrids. Some may see hybrids as a stop gap prior to full EV adoption. But they are the best option for many people, especially those that cannot afford EVs or cannot charge at their residence. Many cars have hybrids available in other markets that don't come to the US.
Agree with all. My wife LOVES the new Prius (haven't seen one in real life, just pics).

200HP with AWD? I believe there is one in our future.

One time after one update my car randomly was acting wierd for a day or two when I would try to lock or unlock it.
With all the AI BS coming out, this would be concerning to me. Who the hell knows what will be happening with over the air updates. Freaks me out. That's why I'll be looking for a 70's 3/4 ton truck that's solid. F the computer crap.;)

With all the AI BS coming out, this would be concerning to me. Who the hell knows what will be happening with over the air updates. Freaks me out. That's why I'll be looking for a 70's 3/4 ton truck that's solid. F the computer crap.;)
This is true. Or if not AI a bad actor or hacker.

Say what you want about my old crv. It didn’t know where I was, when I was, and could not be taken over remotely. The self driving and connectivity is proof you could take my car over if smartest and security weak enough.

Back