ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Although one of my friends has an app showing all the free charging spots in the northeast, I have battery charging paranoia. At some point, I expect that I'll buy an EV. But for now I'm happy with my diesel VW. Morris County NJ -> Lake Placid, less than half a tank of fuel.

Although one of my friends has an app showing all the free charging spots in the northeast, I have battery charging paranoia. At some point, I expect that I'll buy an EV. But for now I'm happy with my diesel VW. Morris County NJ -> Lake Placid, less than half a tank of fuel.
I hear you. My anecdotal very positive experience is not valid proof but at least the route to Gore up to Schroon is very reliable. The high speed charger in Keene (as I remember within and hour of WF) is part of the same network - EVolveNY.
We are going to Mount Snow but I am going the Taconic route instead of I 91 because I trust NY s network. Same amount of time.
There is a lot of YouTube vids bashing EA.
Interestingly, the EVolveNY s on Long Island were done thru EA so I will be interested to see how my charging on those goes. Have not tested it because LI isn’t that long to be much of a range challenge. Went to Montauk and back wo having to charge. But looking forward to checking those out.

And at some point I am bound to have a bad experience that an ICE won’t given infrastructure. In the mean time I will take all the other benefits of electric.
The one thing Rivian needs is some kind of software driven ‘“locking differential’ function. I imagine this will be easier on the dual motor versions.

I am running a diesel VW, also. My tank range is easily 650 miles. In the summer it is closer to 800 miles. I do agree that at some point we will be EV.

I am running a diesel VW, also. My tank range is easily 650 miles. In the summer it is closer to 800 miles. I do agree that at some point we will be EV.
It is interesting. 5 years ago I would have said it will take 50 years. Now I think 10, with 5-20 percent of the market just refusing EVs.
Rivian is close to putting out a truck that can tow 200 miles (390 range). Kind of crazy.
There are also just tech advances that we are not quite expecting like the 5 minute charge to 80 percent or the 1,000 mile battery.
Like most ppl I am wrong more than I am right. But it sure is a lot of fun to watch and it forces ICE and EV and hybrid and alternatives to get better which is good.
I guess kind of like ski3, the government wastes a bunch of money I don’t mind if they waste it on ev and solar.

When somebody produces something like a mid-range Honda Accord ($35K) with about 300 miles of EV range we will be interested. We do not want to drive around in the 'lifted' hatch/cross vehicles they are producing in this price range like the Chevy Bolt or the Hyundai Kona. At this point, hybrids are much more interesting to us. Since we do not need a vehicle, I can happily read all the great info DomB and others are providing in this thread. Thanks for the info!!

When somebody produces something like a mid-range Honda Accord ($35K) with about 300 miles of EV range we will be interested. We do not want to drive around in the 'lifted' hatch/cross vehicles they are producing in this price range like the Chevy Bolt or the Hyundai Kona. At this point, hybrids are much more interesting to us. Since we do not need a vehicle, I can happily read all the great info DomB and others are providing in this thread. Thanks for the info!!
This is the best position to be in. I think in 3-5 years these options will be there. Ow there is the id4 which is a legit crv type vehicle, don’t know pricing or range.
But Kia is coming out w stuff, Mazda, it is going to be a brave new world.
W a 12 year old crv that was awesome I was starting to worry about that one expensive repair (that never came). It would be a bummmer to drop a few k eighth before trade in. I probably just would have gone down to one car unless it was ski season.

This is the best position to be in. I think in 3-5 years these options will be there. Ow there is the id4 which is a legit crv type vehicle, don’t know pricing or range.
But Kia is coming out w stuff, Mazda, it is going to be a brave new world.
W a 12 year old crv that was awesome I was starting to worry about that one expensive repair (that never came). It would be a bummmer to drop a few k eighth before trade in. I probably just would have gone down to one car unless it was ski season.
There is an VW ID4 across the street. It looks as dumpy as a Bolt. In their effort to attract the 'cool' beta testers, VW created a mess. It is also rear wheel drive and 200mile range for about $40k. The 4 wheel dr with the 275 mile range is $50k. The interior belongs in a base model jetta, not $50k vehicle. The mark ups for VW must be huge. What a joke.

There is an VW ID4 across the street. It looks as dumpy as a Bolt. In their effort to attract the 'cool' beta testers, VW created a mess. It is also rear wheel drive and 200mile range for about $40k. The 4 wheel dr with the 275 mile range is $50k. The interior belongs in a base model jetta, not $50k vehicle. The mark ups for VW must be huge. What a joke.
Right? Why is it EVs need to look so weird and dumpy. I don't get it.
I can't speak for VW, but Subie and Nissan margins on their EVs are extremely minimal. At least they are on the dealer end of the business. There's an old saying in this biz, manufactures retail it to dealers and dealers wholesale to the consumer.

Back