ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

The article doesn't really seem to have a thesis, but for folks with range anxiety, this should help on the coasts.

Interesting item for ppl like me that want to take these things off the beaten trail is that there seems to be an absence of high speed charging in the 'backwoods'. Which makes sense, and the woods shouldn't change.

The other thing that struck me is the historical analogy to Manhattan's subway - the reason there are multiple lines in some cases on the same route is that back when the robber barons were funding the lines independently to compete with each other. Now we have a nice system but does not see the most efficient way to go. That is probably what is going to happen with fast chargers. For example the only permitted Rivian high speed charger I know about is on 84 and 87 about a mile from an EA high speed charger that exists. Is that useful or smart at this point?

The article doesn't really seem to have a thesis, but for folks with range anxiety, this should help on the coasts...

Interesting item for ppl like me that want to take these things off the beaten trail is that there seems to be an absence of high speed charging in the 'backwoods'.
R1T recently sold on Bringatrailer, the seller in Idaho said that was a reason for selling.
"Here is the bold truth on the sale:
Idaho charging network is PATHETIC!
The charging stations here are either incredibly slow, on private property, or have been out of order for months. This has limited my ability to use the truck on my 300 range to get back home for a charge. Adventure is out for Idahoans needing an electric refueling. Adventure is why I bought it, and this is why I’m selling."

Harv, re hypermiling, it seems to me (and I could be completely wrong - this is anecdotal) you can get good results from a pretty normal following distance. I am not trying to hyper mile, but I find just going behind a car my size or larger at speed and within adaptive cc/self driving distance gives me a bump. I think it is part of why I am getting a percent or two better than Rivian's stated range on the snow tires.

Dom not sure how the following distance relates. For me hypermiling is a bit of a game, but not a religion.

Interesting that cruise control is far less conducive to mpg in a hybrid. In my gasser it allows me to hit that 37 number around town, sometimes more. In the hybrid if I use the cruise, I find that at times I am right at the point where the car will shift to ev, but not actually in EV.

Still haven't had a trip above 60mpg. Best is 59.1.

Dom not sure how the following distance relates. For me hypermiling is a bit of a game, but not a religion.

Interesting that cruise control is far less conducive to mpg in a hybrid. In my gasser it allows me to hit that 37 number around town, sometimes more. In the hybrid if I use the cruise, I find that at times I am right at the point where the car will shift to ev, but not actually in EV.

Still haven't had a trip above 60mpg. Best is 59.1.
Hey I may have been unclear. What I find is that if I set auto drive or adaptive cruise control at a reasonable following distance (i.e. you do not need to tailgate) behind an SUV or a truck, then I get a pickup in mileage that is significant. Even pretty large distances like max follow distance gives a bump.

This may be more important to my vehicle or say a Tesla because Aero is so important, but I would have thought it would be important to a Prius.

The Prius is too old to set a following distance (2012) so it's just standard cruise. The tendency with hypermiling is not to tailgate, it's really to control acceleration. It's not really best to accelerate slowly. Get up to speed relatively quickly and maintain if you can in EV.

My experience with smart cruise control (Subaru) is just the opposite. I find the car is constantly on the brakes and gas, especially when I’m tucked in behind another vehicle. I get better mileage with my foot

My experience with smart cruise control (Subaru) is just the opposite. I find the car is constantly on the brakes and gas, especially when I’m tucked in behind another vehicle. I get better mileage with my foot
One thing vexing about the smart cruise is that it goes hard on the brakes. I'm sure the lawyers had input. :)

Like if someone is turning WAY ahead of you and there is no reason to brake it brakes hard. I usually just tap the brakes to disengage the cruise when that happens. Still, if that is what you mean I get it.

Honestly it just depends on how good it is for the mfg. My brother has Toyota and really likes it. I like the Rivian.

Hard braking may be phantom braking, when the system thinks something is there. This has happened a handful of times to me, usually shadows or bridges.

Setting up camp!

Attachments

• 50FA120C-D1EC-44FA-AFA6-E5F076515A7B.jpeg
    50FA120C-D1EC-44FA-AFA6-E5F076515A7B.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 7FF508BE-A50C-403A-9208-3C1CEEE16A17.jpeg
    7FF508BE-A50C-403A-9208-3C1CEEE16A17.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 40
Back