ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Dom's positive experience so far is everything I was expecting. The click bait I get was reading shitting on the mileage was making me hesitant.
His numbers are pretty impressive and I think I'm going to save a decent amount on fuel.
We are always going to need gassers, drive what you want.
Thanks T! I do try to be fair. For example, a guy I have not met yet PM'd me on a Rivian forum asking about my experience, saying someone he knows on LI has had issues with his S. I asked what they were but did not hear back.

There will definitely be problems, but as they are showing on the T (which seems to have most of the bugs worked out), they are improving.

Right now the biggest issue I hear about is the delay from when you tell them you have an issue to when you get a service appointment. I THINK that will change, as even with cuts to CAPEX they are planning to rapidly expand the delivery / service center network. But we don't know. For example, the second biggest issue I have is that my automatic trunk closing - when it is a warm day then cold day or vice versa, sometimes the frunk closes but then jumps open, acting the same way it would if it detected an object in there. The fix is just push it down manually. I have a service ticket in for that, and I think they are coming to my house in March.

The biggest issue I have had is a software but - when I directly click one button to defog, it turns all vents off. To deal with that, I just click climate then click defog. It is an extra click. But you could argue it is a little dangerous because of the distraction factor. I called Rivian about it and they pulled the data from my car while I repeated it real time. It sounds like they are now aware, so I am HOPING they fix it with an over the air update. I don't view this as that bad, but it is safety related. I have not tried asking Alexa to turn it on, so I guess I should do that.

And keep the info coming DOM. When you get campi on board the momentum will have shifted. Lol. Better be able to make your own electricity at home by then
I am actually thinking of going solar - between NY and Fed, they would pay 40% of cost, and now my electric bill will go from 200 to 250 per month on average, meaning a ten year payback (36,000 system for 3,000 per year) after incentives. With an expected lifetime of 20-30 years, it is starting to become too hard not too. At that point kind of dumb not to. AND I don't see myself buying ICE again ever.

I did not do it at first because I have weird roof lines and wanted the Tesla roof tiles which are less efficient. So I'll have solar panels that you can see. My thinking is that most people will view that as a plus. We'll see. The Missus seems on board.

I am actually thinking of going solar - between NY and Fed, they would pay 40% of cost, and now my electric bill will go from 200 to 250 per month on average, meaning a ten year payback (36,000 system for 3,000 per year) after incentives. With an expected lifetime of 20-30 years, it is starting to become too hard not too. At that point kind of dumb not to. AND I don't see myself buying ICE again ever.

I did not do it at first because I have weird roof lines and wanted the Tesla roof tiles which are less efficient. So I'll have solar panels that you can see. My thinking is that most people will view that as a plus. We'll see. The Missus seems on board.
If you buy them they increase the value of the house. Those lease deals don't work well if you want to sell

When I went to Milan for work and was there for 6 weeks straight the inner oldest part of the city would ban all autos on Sunday to keep the air somewhat breathable,
They have a nice clean subway system and if I didn’t open my mouth folks would start chatting to me.
Sometimes I’d just hop on one to get some gelato, check out the city and folks. If ya walked the sidewalks for any length of time you’d get exhausted from the exhaust if it wasn’t an auto-banned Sunday.

These pics show-

- most expensive way to charge — Tesla supercharger about 3/4 tank - 27-99 percent

- charge curve with a step down at 60 percent state of charge. This says from 27 to 60 percent was pulling 300-320 miles per an hour. The battery management system slows charge to protect battery health.

- rate of charge at plug in
If you buy them they increase the value of the house. Those lease deals don't work well if you want to sell
Yes I am buy guy not a lease guy.

Attachments

• F74985DF-9709-43D9-8381-96761A823139.png
    F74985DF-9709-43D9-8381-96761A823139.png
    420.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 536829D9-4353-42DA-AA5A-DFB77C501A44.png
    536829D9-4353-42DA-AA5A-DFB77C501A44.png
    293.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 85EB1D70-B021-4370-958B-545795FFFB18.png
    85EB1D70-B021-4370-958B-545795FFFB18.png
    179.3 KB · Views: 42
This is not really ICE vs Electric cost and emissions but I'm putting it here.

This past Saturday morning we found ourselves needing a new car all of a sudden. We had actually been looking at cars for several months, and I called the only Honda dealer I know of in the state that was selling smaller fuel efficient cars at MSRP. To our surprise he had a CRV hybrid on the floor that was not already sold.

That's the car my wife wanted so we drove up, did a perfunctory test drive, and bought it. It is a very nice car. For my taste it's too big, they widened it and lengthened the wheelbase vs the previous model. Not sure but they may have extended the hood to fit in all the extra stuff you need for a hybrid. Whatever, my wife loves it, and it's her car.

Personally I'd rather have less cargo space, less legroom (it has ridiculous legroom front and back), maybe save a few thousand on the sticker and get better MPG. EPA on it is 40/34 city/highway.

I don't know too much about the drivetrain, but it's a 2.0 liter inline four with two electric motors. I haven't driven it much, (Zelda be like, BACK OFF car crasher!) but so far around town I have not been able to beat the mileage I was getting with my 2017 1.6 liter turbo. I was so in tune with that car, I drove it all the time. I do think if I "learn" this car better I should be able to squeeze more out of it.

In my first two drives I got around 35. Hoping I can get closer to 40 to feel like the extra spend was worth it. Time will tell.

This is not really ICE vs Electric cost and emissions but I'm putting it here.

This past Saturday morning we found ourselves needing a new car all of a sudden. We had actually been looking at cars for several months, and I called the only Honda dealer I know of in the state that was selling smaller fuel efficient cars at MSRP. To our surprise he had a CRV hybrid on the floor that was not already sold.

That's the car my wife wanted so we drove up, did a perfunctory test drive, and bought it. It is a very nice car. For my taste it's too big, they widened it and lengthened the wheelbase vs the previous model. Not sure but they may have extended the hood to fit in all the extra stuff you need for a hybrid. Whatever, my wife loves it, and it's her car.

Personally I'd rather have less cargo space, less legroom (it has ridiculous legroom front and back), maybe save a few thousand on the sticker and get better MPG. EPA on it is 40/34 city/highway.

I don't know too much about the drivetrain, but it's a 2.0 liter inline four with two electric motors. I haven't driven it much, (Zelda be like, BACK OFF car crasher!) but so far around town I have not been able to beat the mileage I was getting with my 2017 1.6 liter turbo. I was so in tune with that car, I drove it all the time. I do think if I "learn" this car better I should be able to squeeze more out of it.

In my first two drives I got around 35. Hoping I can get closer to 40 to feel like the extra spend was worth it. Time will tell.
That is sweet ride my friends that we go to Gore with have it and absolutely love it. You ll get like 600 miles on a fill so easily Gore and back wo a gas station. Congrats! Sorry about the other part.

I am actually thinking of going solar
My husband got solar panels at the same time we got a roof replacement that was covered by insurance. He's looking forward to the spring/summer months when the panels will generate more electricity than we use. We have a south facing house with plenty of space for panels. He watches the stats all the time.

We are currently charging two RAV4 Prime's at the house as needed since my daughter is living at home at the moment.

That is sweet ride my friends that we go to Gore with have it and absolutely love it. You ll get like 600 miles on a fill so easily Gore and back wo a gas station. Congrats! Sorry about the other part.
Dom, any idea what kind of mpg they are getting?

We are still on the tank of gas (about 3/4 of a tank) that came with it but the range estimate is way less than 600. 600 would be awesome, Plattekill and back in one tank. Saves me more than you think, because I could do the whole thing on NJ gas.

But then again, it's not my car. I'll be getting 50 mpg, if I make it. If you see my champagne blue prius ass stuck in the ditch on the way to Belle, lend ol harv a hand.

Back