ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

A 23k car snapping your head back in acceleration. Right now, if we were to get a second car I would get a bolt. However, I don't anticipate a new car for at least another 4-5 years staying with my model of keeping em at least 12 years.

A few random updates -

1. Maintenance - my brake pads should last a long, long time: I am above 500 miles (interesting, way higher rate than I normally drive, though I do drive more in the winter). I estimate I have used my brake pedal less than ten times. Most drives I don't use it at all, which will be good for my brake pads. Regen braking charges the battery. Once I am over 20 mph I put on adaptive cruise control, and the car brakes. If I approach a turn, I drop it to 20 and the car turns fine at that speed. I only have to remember to shut it off at a red light with no car in front me, and to turn the wheel. My occasional brake tapping is if I forget to shut off adaptive at say a stop sign or a red light. Maybe 2x was from someone jamming on the brakes in front of me as the Rivian can usually handle that (and I set the following distance at max until I have more experience with glitches).

Highways is the full self driving.

2. Charging at home is really cheap. Like filling up a Yukon on $15. This is the first full week fo having to charge at home. I find we use about 10% battery per day. Yesterday I let the battery go down to 30 percent, and then used a timed charge up to 85 percent overnight, all scheduled for a super off peak rate plan, where my cost is 60% of standard (11 pm to 6 am). I went from 30 percent, about 100 miles of range, to 85 percent with 148 miles added. Cost (per both the Rivian and Chargepoint charger app): $7.46.

For cost comparison, 1/2 tank in my CRV (which got me a bit less than 150 miles) was $22.8 at 3 dollar gas, 30.4 at 4 dollar gas, and I don't remember if it got that high but at 5 it would be 38. FOR A HALF TANK. So, the super premium fast charging that I will probably do 2-4 times per month in the winter and perhaps not at all in the summer is about the cost of 4 dollar gas. If I am doing that 12 times a year, that will be pretty sweet.

And, to be fair, I should factor in the cost of my charge set up. I am not sure how to do that yet because I won't know the net cost until october 2024 when I get my 2023 taxes finalized.

Charger - net 250. Market about 750; NYSEG sold it to me for 250 as a energy efficiency rebate program. There may be additional federal rebates on this - don't know yet.

Install - Around 1400 before rebates (I live on Long Island AND the 6 Gauge wire had to be run about 60 feet, so material and labor). There may be federal and state rebates on this, I don't know yet the amount.

So all in, probably less than a year of charging once all the rebates come in, as I'd guess 40% for install between fed and state.

Charging and Range Update - ahead of the trip I set the car to charge to 100%. It looks like the Rivian battery management system will allow me to approach but not hit 100%. It is on 99%. I only did this after talking to Rivian support. It looks like it keeps a bit at the top to protect the battery.

It is showing 297 miles for 99% state of charge in conserve. When I ordered the car they were stating I could get up to 15% below 314. However they have updated the software since to increase range. Cool that the car gets better the longer you own it (other improvements are sand mode, and snow mode). This is on snow tires, which are less efficient than the factory all terrains that came with this puppy.

Note - I was getting about 285 on a fill up with my CRV toward the end (admittedly about 300 when I bought her).

only 300 on a crv? My Cx5 shows 389 on a fill up and has a small tank..

Charging and Range Update - ahead of the trip I set the car to charge to 100%. It looks like the Rivian battery management system will allow me to approach but not hit 100%. It is on 99%. I only did this after talking to Rivian support. It looks like it keeps a bit at the top to protect the battery.

It is showing 297 miles for 99% state of charge in conserve. When I ordered the car they were stating I could get up to 15% below 314. However they have updated the software since to increase range. Cool that the car gets better the longer you own it (other improvements are sand mode, and snow mode). This is on snow tires, which are less efficient than the factory all terrains that came with this puppy.

Note - I was getting about 285 on a fill up with my CRV toward the end (admittedly about 300 when I bought her).
Something is definitely up. I drove it 9 miles and went to 96% state of charge and 294 range. I think they may be 'hiding' range at the top as a buffer. This implies it was actually at 303, which is consistent with what the guess o meter has been telling me. Tricky Rivian.

Something is definitely up. I drove it 9 miles and went to 96% state of charge and 294 range. I think they may be 'hiding' range at the top as a buffer. This implies it was actually at 303, which is consistent with what the guess o meter has been telling me. Tricky Rivian.
My car when full says I'm going too get over 400 miles. Never happens. Drive safe

Back