ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I'm skeptical about EVs for off road or winter driving. Extra weight plus max torque at zero speed doesn't seem like a good combination. I think launch control may be the hardest problem for EVs.

Long trips in rural areas, cold weather and slippery roads are the worst case for EVs. A lot of skiers are not gonna want to give up RICE.

mm
You are right. Sand mode makes the torque go to the wheels less quickly, which helps with this.

For winter, I am getting snow tires (never done that before). Non studded first. If that does not cut it, will move to studded.

Dom u have been quiet. Things going smoothly?
One more update. The vehicle is now on NJ. Some sleuthy googling shows that the furthest main rail link is in Trenton, 70 miles away from the Brooklyn service center.

I figure it gets to Brooklyn tomorrow and they sit on it for a week to ten days to QC, spruce up, and get me in the line for delivery so I could have this bad boy between next Friday and Feb 1. . . . .

Dom this isn't any of my business and please don't take it the wrong way...
The Riv is a very cool vehicle..But do you really think it's wise to shell out 90k on a new model and new company? It is a depreciating asset.. Hybrid Highlander will last forever and is backed by Toyota...
Peace and Love
I know you were asking about the Rivian purchase by @DomB . . . but here's the story behind why my family now has two RAV4 Prime PHEVs.

In 2020, my goal was to get away from an old minivan with 300,000+ miles that was bought new in 2008. I started lobbying for an SUV when the minivan had over 200,000 miles. Any intermediate SUV would've been fine but I was interested in a hybrid. I don't need a third row of seats any more. I wanted AWD for potential driving trips to ski country. I don't do off-road driving for fun. Once my husband started learning about the Toyota RAV4 Prime, he figured that with the $7500 Federal tax credit the total cost was about the same as a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid. We test drove other SUVs in the same price range with similar features. Bottom line is that my husband had the patience to find a Toyota dealer on the east coast who could sell him a RAV4 Prime SE before the end of 2020 (less than 5000 were sold in the USA that year). I put 40,000 miles on that car in the first 2 years, including a December 2021 ski trip to Colorado (1900 miles 1-way).

My daughter graduated from college in May 2022. She was driving the old minivan. The idea was to get her into a better car as a college graduation present (she finished in 3 years). She had researched cars for a year or two and came up with the Subaru Crosstrek as her first choice. A used Crosstrek would've been fine. Instead my husband opted to put down a deposit on a second RAV4 Prime in early 2022. He was leaning towards a RAV4 Prime XSE. I didn't care between another SE or an XSE. When the dealer came up with an XSE unexpectedly early we went for it. We picked it up in August on the way home from our school alumni gathering in Lake Placid. The timing mattered as of June 2022 when we made the decision because the tax credit was due to run out for Toyota by Oct. 1, 2022.

Now both my daughter and I are totally spoiled. Her commute is under 15 miles 1-way so the range of 40 EV miles means she is not buying any gas for her daily commute. At the same time, for a longer trip she doesn't have to learn how to deal with keeping a BEV charged. With the XSE, I can use a Level 2 cable to fully charge in 2.5 hours since it has a more powerful on-board charger. I rarely go out twice on the same day, but it's a handy option at times. I like the additional safety features such as the 360 View.

My husband is a generally frugal guy born and raised in the midwest and has paid cash for all his cars in the last 40 years.

181 pages, wow.

Here's my question, sorry if already answered a billion times:

If ALL vehicles in the USA went EV, would we have to generate more electricity to power them?

and if we did need to generate more electricity to power them, how would that effect our overall generation of GHG emissions?

Im sure our GHG would still be lower than if we kept our GHG vehicles, but by how much?

Last edited:
181 pages, wow.

Here's my question, sorry if already answered a billion times:

If ALL vehicles in the USA went EV, would we have to generate more electricity to power them?

and if we did need to generate more electricity to power them, how would that effect our overall generation of GHG emissions?

Im sure our GHG would still be lower than if we kept our GHG vehicles, but by how much?
Depends on how the electricity is produced. Advances in battery technology & renewable energy generation are changing the calculation constantly, and my money is on “GHG” continuing to lose market share.

Depends on how the electricity is produced. Advances in battery technology & renewable energy generation are changing the calculation constantly, and my money is on “GHG” continuing to lose market share.

And specifically except in Texas and West Virginia ev s would be orders of magnitude cleaner because those states have pretty dirty generation.

The vehicle is at the Brooklyn. Service center. My charger was installed this weekend. My guess is delivery w n 7-10 days of no QC issues. . . .

My plan is as soon as it comes in take it to a Detailer to get it PPF’d.

TJ if I have by Pres week happy to meet up near Gore to show you the S.

Guide just texted he expects 1-2 weeks to delivery. So far he has been conservative as it was a hard over two weeks to ship and he said 3-4 to ship.

The vehicle is at the Brooklyn. Service center. My charger was installed this weekend. My guess is delivery w n 7-10 days of no QC issues. . . .

My plan is as soon as it comes in take it to a Detailer to get it PPF’d.

TJ if I have by Pres week happy to meet up near Gore to show you the S.

Guide just texted he expects 1-2 weeks to delivery. So far he has been conservative as it was a hard over two weeks to ship and he said 3-4 to ship.
Thanks for the offer Dom. I'll be interested to hear your review. My last 4 cars I bought I never test drove. I expect I have quite while to wait so I'm in no hurry.
Did you install the charger outside? My truck will live outside

Back