ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

But your question makes me feel better that the fuel savings will more than pay for the insurance difference. My CRV (!) was costing $60 to fill when things were crazy (that never happened before the $5 gas) so this will be an order of magnitude less.

EVs were 10% of global new consumer vehicle sales last year, driven by China and Europe. Separate article a few weeks ago noted that US that figure was 6%.

In the weight theme
i would think this would be a plus in a selfish way.
There's already a big weight disparity between and ICE SUV/pickup truck and my diesel Jetta. ICE or electric, collision with a truck wouldn't be good.

Dom u have been quiet. Things going smoothly?
Ha! Yes so far. The R1s is on a train from Normal to Brooklyn. As of yesterday it is still in PA (they can't identify or won't identify what city but PA is reasonably 'long' west to east). But the start of PA is about 2/3 through the journey.

Next step is it gets to Brooklyn; Brooklyn goes over it, QCs again, details, and then they reach out to schedule delivery. I heard rumours they are not delivering with a guide to walk you through to cut costs but my 'guide' said I will have a guide walk me through.

I very much like the online process. It is a little tricky because to get a car loan you need insurance, so I just got a binder for 2/10; if it comes earlier I will get another binder. Once loan closes, then I need to upload a picture of the check for Rivian and the routing number of the check to them, and wire the balance.

100% of the online process is easy; 98% is not time consuming. This chicken/egg issue with the insurance and closing car loan takes a little time but not much.

SO MUCH BETTER SO FAR THAN BUYING IN PERSON FOR ME. YOU ONLY LOSE THE ABILITY TO NEGOTIATE. YOU SAVE A BUNCH OF TIME. My last car experience was leasing my subaru base model in 14. I was straight forward, negotiated quickly, and then the guy tried to get me to sit through all the extended warranty stuff (that is a hug profit margin, right Camp?). My CRV I got to skip because my assistant at work referred me to a salesman who had an incentive and I was buying last year in a model line up (I like doing that for reliability but alot of ppl want the new thing - yes I get the irony of me saying that).

TJ also some thoughts:

1. I am 95% going to get PPF (paint protection film). There are some interesting youtube videos on it. Even if someone keys your car most likely the PPF takes it and then when the sun comes out, it melts a bit or 'self heals' (love the marketing speak).

2. I am 99.5% getting Blizzak LT non studded tires. Going up to Belle tonight and there will be an ice storm. I just don't want to be nervous driving - will change out 2x per year per how you do it. One set of wheels.

3. I am going to buy these 'jack puck' things - The Rs are heavy and on the mount point they have a little hole. A rivian owner designed these pucks that are magetic and go on the end of the jack.

4. Some supply chain issues - my car will ship without a spare and without the roof rack I ordered. When they come in, Rivian will email me and give me the old price. Right now the roof rack is like 2x what I had it for (275 vs. 525).

5. I am a little nervous not having a spare, but I beat my CRV to hell well beyond its use case including slamming it on the beach and never had a flat so let's hope my luck holds (yes past performance does not affect the future esp since this new vehicle is multiples of times heavier).

Back