ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

My VIN is in the 3000s so that is interesting. It does not mean it was MADE in that order, as VINs are only required to be sequentially assigned. But it is probably in the ball park. I have learned way to much idiosyncratic stuff about vehicles.

Dom this isn't any of my business and please don't take it the wrong way...
The Riv is a very cool vehicle..But do you really think it's wise to shell out 90k on a new model and new company? It is a depreciating asset.. Hybrid Highlander will last forever and is backed by Toyota...
Peace and Love

The Riv is a very cool vehicle..But do you really think it's wise to shell out 90k on a new model and new company? It is a depreciating asset.. Hybrid Highlander will last forever and is backed by Toyota...
Peace and Love
Couldn't agree more. Again, not knocking our Riv fans, you guys have bigger balls than most.

EV truck? This is the one

Peace and Love
Hey! I always welcome questions, but especially when they are asked in a kind way. Thanks for improving the zen of the universe.

I will answer your question and the question relevant to me --

1. Your question - Right now would I pay 93k for this car with no tax incentive as you ask? Probably not but can't say with certainty. If I was committed to a 3 row EV SUV this is my only option (model x too much for what you get and y is not really a 3 row). I will say, I have driven both the truck and the SUV and they are insane. Car afficienados like the truck better for stability over longer wheelbase and drive tuning. However, I do think drive tuning will be better on SUV in time with software. That said, both drive way better than any vehicle I have driven (disclaimer only fancy vehicles I have ever driven was a friend's X about 4 years ago and another friend's fancy Camaro when it was reintroduced like 15 years ago). Bouncing from all purpose to sport mode (like a sports car) to offroad to sand to snow at a touch of a button. Snow leaves much to be desired on ice.

2. My question - would I buy what I am getting at the net price I am getting of about71,000? Yes. So, my net all in after taxes and rebates will be 71k. Right now, same build is selling at auction for 105k even after recent drops. My gas cost will drop to $6.75 per 290 miles or 250 when you average in winter for half the year which is conservative. So ...

a. Worse case scenario I could drive free for a year and sell for what I paid for. As you can tell from my posts, I am not a short term guy. I once bought a very lovely house too far from the city and lived there for 3 years. I hated the transaction costs (honestly more the time than the money) of getting in and out of it. Did not lose money on it including brokers fees etc, I am just not a short timer kind of dude.

b. If I want a 3 row EV there really is no other option (Y not really and X falcon doors dont work for me and it is tiny).

c. Hybrid alternative is most attractive but not good enough. I would combine a and c if I have to go this route. For the highest spec Highlander hybrid, you are talking a net difference of like 10,000; you gain range but lose the super car performance and offroad capability. Offroad is important to me as I will be on soft sand on beaches that regularly swallow fancy lifted jeeps and range rovers and trucks - will be a significant amount of my use case. I could get a small lift for the Highlander but at that point, you are adding a few k even with the base lifts (I would pay to install).

3. On the depreciating asset point, I hear you. But please keep in mind my practical alternatives even for just a family hauler are only about 10,000 less. 10,000 is a lot of money, but not on my sole car payment. Also, I actually am very frugal in the rest of my life (well kept but much smaller house than friends, etc.) on the big recurring costs in my life, so this one doesn't hit me too hard. The delay in getting this and holding onto my clunker has more than maid up the 10k. After this we wont' need to buy a car until our kids 'need' something in which case I could get a cheap electric or a honda fit for them. Or make them actually earn something!

d. Last and least, comparing this to straight ICE it is no competition. The Jeep 3 row would have a gas delta of 7 or 8000 over 5 years and would cost a bit more comparably equipped. It would also not have the same handling or on road performance. Arguably inferior offroad unless I get a lift kit.

Couldn't agree more. Again, not knocking our Riv fans, you guys have bigger balls than most.

EV truck? This is the one

Yeah on the other competitors it is a matter of them getting things out in numbers. Even Ford is struggling to get EVs out. I had a lightening res that came up just days after my Riv was confirmed. Passed on the res.

1. I am 95% going to get PPF (paint protection film). There are some interesting youtube videos on it. Even if someone keys your car most likely the PPF takes it and then when the sun comes out, it melts a bit or 'self heals' (love the marketing speak).
We did third-party "ceramic coating" on the first RAV4 Prime about a year after we bought it. For the 2022 R4P, that was done a few weeks after I drove it home from NY. Well worth the money. It's like having a freshly waxed car all the time. There was a more expensive option that involved a harder formula and multiple applications.

The small local business that did the coating does a lot of work for new Tesla owners.

Back