ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Having a very good time with my RAV4 Prime Plug-in Hybrid. When I'm sticking around home, most of the driving is done using EV. So might only need one tank of gas for 3-4 weeks just doing local errands. But I don't have to plan when doing a trip of 200-700 miles in a day. Unlike my friend who has a Tesla. Until his daughter went to boarding school in Lake Placid, he didn't do long distance driving much at all. Driving from LP to NC in early January when it was snowing was pretty stressful, partially because of having to figure out where to find the next Tesla charging station.

MPG is between 37-39 for the RAV4 Prime depending what type of roads. Range is around 450 miles on a full tank. Way better than the 2007 minivan for MPG and range.
got the same vehicle, no range anxiety, plugs in anywhere, fast

got the same vehicle, no range anxiety, plugs in anywhere, fast
When you go on long trips, do you bring a charging cable? I only do if I'm going to stay at a friend's house long enough to make it worth plugging in overnight.

We need another car for my wife by end of May when daughter has full license, daughter is getting 2012 Prius.

RAV4 Prime

We are thinking this makes sense for Zelda.

Never dawned on me that we might not be able to get one.

We need another car for my wife by end of May when daughter has full license, daughter is getting 2012 Prius.

Really depends on what state people live in when it comes to finding a RAV4 Prime. We got our two from a dealership near Syracuse. Supposedly Toyota wasn't going to allow sales to out-of-state buyers after Oct. 1, 2022.

Here's a list of states selling the R4P in a thread started by someone who wants a R4P XSE.

Got a call from a dealer I left my number with in a chat box.

They are getting about six RAV hybrids a month, three prime, three regular hybrid.

This current incoming shipment would be deliverable around March 15.

I need this car like May 15. The closer I take it to that date, the better. We can only use 2 cars until Neve gets her license.

So my wife could theoretically pick a car for 3/15, 4/15 or 5/15. But of course, you probably can't predict what will happen.

The rep told me it's about $8k to go from pluggin to regular hybrid. That seems like a lot for 50 miles of 100mpg driving per day. And for us in the mountains it may well be 30 or 35. Both cars are a few thousand above msrp. She said any electric vehicle is above, while regular gassers are at msrp.

Ultimately this is Zelda's car, and her money too. If she wants the pluggin she'll buy it.

But would love to hear your input, to form my own opinion.

If you use the full electric every day, let's say you drive 30 full EV miles a day, and gas is $4 a gallon, what do you save in 5 years?

@DomB I'm looking at you bro! Anyone else too.

Also I'd rather not buy the fancy charger for this house since we'd be moving in 2+ years. Can I get by with a regular plug for 2 years? Probably right?

Back