ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Got my EPA sticker. Fuel cost for a year of $975. Vs. the 'average' new car saves 2,000 over 5 years on fuel. You can go to fuel economy.gov and compare the Rivian to other mid/large size SUVs. I did this with the new mid and large size Jeep 3 row SUVs some weeks ago. I can't remember the difference over five years but it was insane like 5-10k. I may have posted about it here.

Got my EPA sticker. Fuel cost for a year of $975. Vs. the 'average' new car saves 2,000 over 5 years on fuel. You can go to fuel economy.gov and compare the Rivian to other mid/large size SUVs. I did this with the new mid and large size Jeep 3 row SUVs some weeks ago. I can't remember the difference over five years but it was insane like 5-10k. I may have posted about it here.
Tesla just cut their price for the Y and other models.
Gets under the price cap so folks can qualify for the $7.5K kickback.
Too much winning.

OK, two updates.

1, my Rivian is on a train (not sure if I posted that) to Brooklyn.

2. I contacted PSEG and did some math. If I take the time of use plan and only charged in the cheaper window (which would give 140 miles range per day only in the cheap window) to fill up the car would cost $6.75 (5 cents per KW x 135kw). I am sure there is a delivery charge on top of that, but let's say it is double I am paying 13.50 to fill up a three row SUV for 290 miles; 200 miles in winter. A vehicle with the same cubic storage feet as a Tahoe. Boom.

3. Filling up on an 'expensive' high speed charge would be like 30 from empty to full. Those are the worst rates when you are pulling 210 kw/h.

No bueno but not horrible.

Two cars with comprehensive BUT NOT COLLISION was 891 for six months (I am down state with clean record etc). Goes to 1791 for six months with comprehensive AND COLLISION. I am taking out a loan so need to have collision, so the two numbers are not apples to apples.

My guess without collision it would be 1250(?).

However, I am dropping a CRV valued at 6,120 and adding a vehicle valued at 77,500 (went for the underbody).

They did tell me at Geico Rivian is quoting cheaper than a tesla; they thought it was because Rivian may have more open repairs, but I tend to not think that it will be open.

Back