ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I think Camp is right about this one. The R1s weighs like 7000 pounds. I think my CRV weights like 2 or 3000. The Blizzak LTs are for light trucks and commercial vehicles, which Rivian is in the weight class for. When the R1t first came out in NY you could only get a commercial plate because of a law in NY for trucks based on weight. That is annoying in Long Island because the Robert Moses' 'parkways' do not allow commercial vehicles. The law was changed like 10 months ago.
True but trucks weight a lot more than 7k and they get many more miles. I think the 800 hp has more to do with it. People are leaving to much rubber on the pavement

I'll be buying tires every 50k miles just like the next guy. I know you don't like the technology yet. If I could buy a ice pickup that gets 60mpg and had power I would be all over it.
It's not that I don't like the technology because I do. The performance of these vehicles are truly amazing. I don't trust the technology. I'll give just one (of many) examples as to why. We're seeing an absurd amount of vehicles coming in with wiring issues. This is primarily due to wire manufactures using vegetable oil in their plastic coating on the wires. It's a natural attractant for rodents to chew through wires, all of which are not covered under the manufactures warranty. Wiring harnesses are not cheap to buy or install. What you're buying in an EV is simply a bigger ball of wires that will 100% lead to issues.

p.s. trucks start at 3/4 ton ;)

The R1s weighs like 7000 pounds.
I never thought about this. Seems logical that you'd need something more for tires.

And don't get into an accident with one, I guess too. That's a little bit BS, because don't get into an accident with a tractor trailer or a... wait for it... 3500 HD Duramax either!

It's not that I don't like the technology because I do. The performance of these vehicles are truly amazing. I don't trust the technology. I'll give just one (of many) examples as to why. We're seeing an absurd amount of vehicles coming in with wiring issues. This is primarily due to wire manufactures using vegetable oil in their plastic coating on the wires. It's a natural attractant for rodents to chew through wires, all of which are not covered under the manufactures warranty. Wiring harnesses are not cheap to buy or install. What you're buying in an EV is simply a bigger ball of wires that will 100% lead to issues.

p.s. trucks start at 3/4 ton ;)
That seems like a dumb thing to line the wires with.
Look some people don't like them yet, most people don't like change. I don't like spending money on gas which some foreign country who hates America has a lot of control over. I don't like driving a car, but, it's just not feasible to own a truck.
So the truck I am purchasing is going to cost 90k. The price is not that out of wack when compared to trucks with power and features included in the rivian.
The Ford rapture with the v-8 get 18 miles per gallon if you don't get in the gas. The saving grace is you have gas stations everywhere.
The rivian gets 72 miles per gallon in you don't hammer it and 50 mpg if it's really cold. You have a gas station everytime you pull in your driveway. 90% of the time that will be sufficient. The other 10% you either put up with the wait time at a charging station, cumulatively over a year
It's probably less time than ice vehicle will spend at a gas station. Or you use your second car which will run on gas.
It's doesn't have to be an either or.

We're seeing an absurd amount of vehicles coming in with wiring issues. This is primarily due to wire manufactures using vegetable oil in their plastic coating on the wires. It's a natural attractant for rodents to chew through wires, all of which are not covered under the manufactures warranty. Wiring harnesses are not cheap to buy or install. What you're buying in an EV is simply a bigger ball of wires that will 100% lead to issues.
Farmers put mouse traps in tractors&combines when they park them for the winter.
Ya can always let the cat have some fun. Dang rodents.

In the weight theme
i would think this would be a plus in a selfish way.
Mass times velocity equals momentum.
A lot of E-vehicles do well with velocity.
Wonder if it subsequently costs more to insure?

Back