ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I'll be buying tires every 50k miles just like the next guy. I know you don't like the technology yet. If I could buy a ice pickup that gets 60mpg and had power I would be all over it.
I was, sort of, being serious. One of the biggest issues with these is the added weight. I'm seeing where people are having to replace tires at 20K, simply due to the weight of the truck.

I was, sort of, being serious. One of the biggest issues with these is the added weight. I'm seeing where people are having to replace tires at 20K, simply due to the weight of the truck.
Buy cheap tires that's all you get. My Ford SHO factory tires lasted 26k miles.

It is a valid point. I think the road tires are supposed to be 30k but people have been changing them earlier. However, all you are going to have to change are tires, wiper blades, brakes, cabin air filters.

For EVs - No transmission fluid, no oil, no engine repairs bla bla bla. Yes, you can point to batteries going bad, but these dudes can do math. If they are guaranteeing battery life for 8 years 800k miles or whatever it is (500k?), batteries are around long enough that they have stats to make good projections. One area where Rivian was conservative - they recently updated software to increase range. They didn't say what they tweaked but it could have only been a combination of 1) releasing more of the reserve in the battery; 2) changing the battery management software (I think).

Yes, for some time you will have weird corrosion issues, but relatively speaking I believe EVs are more reliable than ICEs were at this point in their relative history (obviously unfair comparison.

All good.

Buy cheap tires that's all you get. My Ford SHO factory tires lasted 26k miles.
I think Camp is right about this one. The R1s weighs like 7000 pounds. I think my CRV weights like 2 or 3000. The Blizzak LTs are for light trucks and commercial vehicles, which Rivian is in the weight class for. When the R1t first came out in NY you could only get a commercial plate because of a law in NY for trucks based on weight. That is annoying in Long Island because the Robert Moses' 'parkways' do not allow commercial vehicles. The law was changed like 10 months ago.

My 8 step process opened up and have done all that I can with 3 open (upload all documents (missing a few like title to trade in that I ordered a few days ago), payment, and delivery date). Not paying now because it could be anywhere from 7 days to 8 weeks for delivery. In a few days I'll know when it is on a train, and then it will get to Brooklyn, get final QC, and then delivered to my house where we do a walk through and I hopefully accept the car. I hope it comes before the Feb. trip to Gore.

Got a decent trade in on the CRV. $6,120 on 12 year old with 140,000 miles in good condition. Looks like that is low-mid market. For convenience I will take it.

Most of this done in 45 minutes. No haggling, no reams of paperwork (but you need to have stuff handy or grab).

Pretty cool process so far . . . .

Back