ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

OK, so I ended up taking a Launch Green, 20 AT wheels, Black Mountain interior, and underbody shield/skidplate. The only difference from my order is the Ocean Coast white.

The Black Mountain is more like a charcoal grey. Everyone said white not the best with a family. The skidplate is a bit more (they had one without but decided to go ahead and do it). We'll see how it goes. Thanks for listening to me and the input. They are saying will come between end of January to mid February delivered to home.

Kind of hard to wrap my head around after almost 4 years.

2k for paint? It must have a different package on it too?
Ha, no! The 2k was for Forest Edge interior (which I don't really like), at 2.5k.

They do have upcharges for some paints (I think Tesla started that but now alot of places do it). I am not getting a paint upcharge or interior upcharge.

Launch Green (For launch edition orders only but free) White, and Silver are free. Then some of the exteriors are 1500 upcharge and one or two are 2500.

I was also not going to get the skid plate as 99 percent of my offroading will be beach and this thing gets to 14.4 inches. And it was unclear how it affected range when none were in customer hands. Turns out the skid plate doesn't really affect range - it is heavier by a few hundred pounds but it is better aero than without. That happened to be 2k upcharge.

The one cool thing they did was that sweet recovery hooks upfront are included on this model (don't know the real name but full closed loops, not the widow maker open ones they give on Jeeps for some reason).

OK, so I ended up taking a Launch Green, 20 AT wheels, Black Mountain interior, and underbody shield/skidplate. The only difference from my order is the Ocean Coast white.

The Black Mountain is more like a charcoal grey. Everyone said white not the best with a family. The skidplate is a bit more (they had one without but decided to go ahead and do it). We'll see how it goes. Thanks for listening to me and the input. They are saying will come between end of January to mid February delivered to home.

Kind of hard to wrap my head around after almost 4 years.
Wow that's big news. Are you entering the 8 step process or whatever it is? Looking forward to hearing how you make out

Last edited:
Yes, mostly.
Wow that's big news. Are you entering the 8 step process or whatever it is? Looking forward to hearing how you make out
Yes, mostly. I think I am one step before that because this is a new outreach program. I didn't do the confirm configuration because it shows my old one (that I ordered) so I have an email into them to see if I should just confirm that and that means I will get this one, or just change the confirm to match the order.

Thanks! Very exciting. Now I get to see how bad auto rates are. I have heard Rivian low balls trade ins, but I am not expecting much for a 13 year old CRV with 140,000 miles so I will probably take whatever they offer to just be rid of it (lots of memories as our first family car but my wife wants us to keep the 9 year old subie impreza).

Met up with an early adopter who has my basic build. The colors look really nice in person so was excited.

Separately, Camp, EV sales were 6% of total sales this year. WSJ has a chart showing the growth over years. I actually think we are at the point that it could grow another 6% yoy for a handful of years and be at 20% in 2-3 years.

Update - I should get the vehicle in max 6-8 weeks. It is built in Normal, Illinois and will be shipped to the Brooklyn service center where there will be an additional QC.

I will try not to be super annoying with the blow by blow on this and keep my posts under control

Better than 50% chance I have it for Pres week trip up to Gore. So I will get to test those EVolve NY charging stations I have been blathering about. Camp, if I call you for a ride when I get stuck, will you pick me up ; )

Did you install the charger at your house yet? What are you putting in? And what is the charging times?
I want to hear everything. I'm sure someone will pick up on it.

Did you install the charger at your house yet? What are you putting in? And what is the charging times?
Hey. I bought the charger (technically what we call chargers are EVSE - EV service equipment - they have onboard chargers). I will pull the info but it is one of the high rated ones. I am going to hardwire it on a 60 amp breaker so it will deliver if I remember correctly 24 mi per hour (maybe 21? I have to double check), so basically could get to a full charge over long night (take that range anxiety).

If you buy the same charger and do a nema 14 plug (dryer plug) you can install on a 48 am circuit and it will pull 40 amp. I think the math comes to like 18 mi per hour. Benefit is if you have a second home you bring that charger with you. I am opting for hardwire for extra speed.

I spent a lot of time getting smart on chargers. State of Charge on youtube does a great job of testing and reviewing.

I believe you have a fancy garage but one thing to be ware if not is that you have to be sure you get a charger that does not kink in cold weather. Some do.

Believe I have the Chargepoint Home Flex which can put out up to 50 amps on 60 amp. Highly rated. NY utility (NSEG?) had a rebate program where a 750 charger was 250 so I snapped it up.

Oh TJ you would appreciate this: Rivian is the only individual stock I have ever bought in my life. It was the worst performer in the NASDAQ 100. My claim to financial fame. Won't sell. Outside of tax loss harvesting I believe I have never sold equities.

Back