ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Dom with all those delays... are you getting a BETTER vehicle two years later?

Why is a color $2000 more? I wouldn't pay more for a color I didn't want.
1. Hey. No, I am not getting a better vehicle. But I am paying the price from two years ago, which is about 18k less than now. For orders after March of (21? 22?) you pay a higher price. So my 75.5k build is 93k now for other people. For me it is 75.5k (then take away 7.5k for tax rebate and then you are approaching the higher end highlander hybrids etc.) Rivian raised prices, citing among other things, inflation. I think (but don't know) that if you reserve today, they don't even give you a price, just an estimate.

2. The color is more because (I think Tesla started it) auto makers just charge more for certain colors now. For example, Rivian, white and silver are 'free'. I got Launch Green 'free' because they are only giving it as a free option to the first 10,000 or so orders. My wife likes forest green, but that is 2,500. I really like Rivian Blue but that is like 3,500. Plus, if Rivian survives, there is some small chance Launch Green could be collectorish.

I'd say we are 70/30 to wait/versus get now. My wife likes the Ocean Coast we ordered, and I don't want to get sideways from her on this purchase.

It is anamolous for us in that it is expensive. The only expensive thing we own for consumption is our home, and that is only because of where we live. It is literally one of the cheaper houses in our town. But the town is expensive because it is about 30 minutes to midtown on a very good train line with good schools and a main street (which is why we moved here).

This car will be more than our prior two cars combined (base 2014 impreza hatchback and 2011 Ex-L Honda CRV).

I meant, maybe they have worked out the bugs more now?
Hmm. Kind of a mixed bag. The software got better, but as TJ noted, this is likely a car they jammed in at year end to hit their production goals, so it is possible it will have the Tesla like misalignments . . . . I am probably early enough that I will in fact be a beta tester. TJ may or may not - they have made like 15k of the Trucks and 3k of the S's. I probably would have an S by now but for the interior color which is (probably?) a good thing from that perspective.

Add me to the "wait for the color you want" list.

One reason my husband was willing to pay a bit more for the extra premium package on the 2022 RAV4 Prime XSE he was offered unexpectedly was that it was the color I wanted. If we had opted for an SE, the timing would've been the same but the SE would not have been the color of interest.

For the 2020 RAV4 Prime SE, we took what was available in order to get it soon enough to make use of the tax credit in 2020. Needless to say, my daughter doesn't care what color it is. Only that she has an SUV with the bonus that she isn't having to buy gas for her work commute.

Now I am being offered Launch Green with Black Mountain interior; also a Forest Green exterior with Black Mountain. . . .

Interesting because my wife likes Black Mountain better than the Forest Edge interior.

Also told me part of the reason no S's with Ocean Coast (white) is that it is more material than the trucks so they can do more trucks with less white. Still defaulting to wait . . . .

Also told me part of the reason no S's with Ocean Coast (white) is that it is more material than the trucks so they can do more trucks with less white. Still defaulting to wait . . . .
Or perhaps Rivian didn't expect as many people going for the R1S to want a white interior.

I have a real problem with a color up charge
I would wait.

Back