ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Rivian...typo.. Quad motor not going to be an option.
Got it. It looks like they will be for some time, but I suspect they will want to go to dual for the reason you noted. Not sure if that means a year from now or four.

every vid i watch , says non tesla chargers are not reliable..long trips are a real hassle..

every vid i watch , says non tesla chargers are not reliable..long trips are a real hassle..
That's what I see. I am hoping, rightly or wrongly that 1) the NY charger system is more reliable. And 2) Rivian's Tesla-like charger map will be fine when built out. Bonus, 3) Tesla will open up their system. Not out of kindness, but because of all the dollars they will get from the so-called Inflation Reduction Act. Tesla announced this in the past few months.

99.5% of my driving is covered by 1. Outside of winter, 95% of my driving is within a 100 miles of my home. Will install a Level 2 charger at my home which will get me to 100% overnight if I want that.

This is the range-anxiety issue. I don't mind trying it out. If it is horrible, I will sell the Rivian likely for more than I paid and just get a Highlander or Sienna Hybrid. Would like Highlander as I could probably still get it on the beach.

My husband's friend who is on his second Tesla carries multiple charging adapters and plug adapters. That gives him more options if there isn't a Tesla charger on the way. He's been driving from Texas to the Pacific NW on an annual basis. Also drives from Texas to FL or up to visit friends in DC fairly often.

My friends who had a kid at North Country School in Lake Placid was driving his Tesla there from Raleigh for school breaks during cold temps between November and March. Had to plan a bit but didn't really have that much of an issue.

That said, it clearly takes more planning for a long trip with a non-Tesla BEV in most regions. Reminds me of what people who have diesel cars need to think about.

Noticed recently that in a few places, AAA is providing service to BEVs that need a charge. It's an extension of the AAA service for people who run out of gas.
Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 4.10.54 PM.png

Hmm . . . may take a while before Tesla chargers are useful for other BEVs in the USA.

November 11, 2022

December 6, 2022

Lately when I check into a motel or am looking to book a VRBO/AirBnB rental, I'm asking whether or not there is an exterior outlet. More out of curiosity than any need to plug in my RAV4 Prime overnight during a trip. In general, the question is taken seriously. There are a few hotel chains that have partnered with Tesla and/or a commercial charging company. Reminds me of when finding a budget motel with WiFi took a little effort.

The large house my group shared near Del Norte, CO not only had an exterior outlet, it was very conveniently located near the front door and generous parking area. I was able to charge in temps under 15 degrees. Max range was 39, compared to 42-45 when temps overnight are in the 40s or 50s. We filled up the tank the afternoon we arrived. Was a bonus not to need to get gas again until we left after 8 days straight of skiing at Wolf Creek. The drive from the house was about 30 miles. I could pick up 2-3 EV miles on the way down in the afternoon.

Back