ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

...the regen braking causes skid.
I expected starting traction would be a problem with high torque electric motors. That seems like a difficult control problem to me. I'm surprised that regenerative braking causes problems. Maybe the control isssue is complicated be the interaction with the mechanical brakes, or maybe they just overlooked the usefulness of a snow mode like every other car company.

mm

maybe they just overlooked the usefulness of a snow mode like every other car company.
I think this is it. Isn’t the whole idea of electric motors that torque can be dialed in perfectly for whatever you’re doing? Seems like it’s just a colossal oversight.

Engineers can’t figure out anti-lock-regen braking?
We’ve placed robots on Mars recently and folks on the moon over 50 years ago for crying out loud.
Sorry - i missed this. I think the short answer is they can through software. I think I read someone used Sand mode and that helped (which makes sense Sand mode lets the wheels spin more and presumably means they don't regen brake as much.

I partially think the issue is that alot of the software engineers are in (I think) moderate climate California. It could be they just have not pushed out a fix yet or want more data. If they want more data that would line up with the fact that there have been a disproportionate proportion of deliveries in the Denver area.

I expected starting traction would be a problem with high torque electric motors. That seems like a difficult control problem to me. I'm surprised that regenerative braking causes problems. Maybe the control isssue is complicated be the interaction with the mechanical brakes, or maybe they just overlooked the usefulness of a snow mode like every other car company.

mm
Good point. See the note on Sand mode (which through software gives less instant torque for a similar physical issue [I think as a non scientist but took up to Calc 2 in HS though I am sure it was watered down). For that mode, they have the starting and stopping spin rate (turning force/torque) lower so you don't dig yourself under soft sand when starting and stopping.

However, you will take a big range hit as regen is important to range.

I guess everything degrades range. The article about the guys driving with no heat, radio or nav in the dead of winter last year was pretty funny.

I guess everything degrades range. The article about the guys driving with no heat, radio or nav in the dead of winter last year was pretty funny.
Yeah there is a youtuber who reviews gas and ICE and he does a standard range test in relatively practical conditions- 70 ac or heat, depending on temp outside to be comfortable, 70 mph to simulate somewhat normal hwy speeds (yes most go faster at times including me) etc. It is Kyle from out of spec.

He did one test at somewhat lower temps (around 31 I think) and Riv did pretty good. Obviously the real issue is when you 'cold soak' the battery overnight.

mm
Another issue with regenerative bakes on a Tesla is the rear brake lights do not go on to signal braking.

Back