ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Not an EV, but I thought our Prius came with an 8 year warrantee on batteries with no mileage limit.

Car is 10 years old with 130,000 miles on it. I have no idea about the condition of the batteries, but it still gets the same mileage it did when it was new, 55-60. That's with my wife driving it, I'm sure I could do better :) ( < haha, that was for you Broski)

My car guy Al told me that the price of the replacement batteries fluctuates quite a bit. He also said you can look at each "cell" and replace the worst ones, leaving the rest to save some money.

In the end, the batteries are the key. Beyond batteries, there is much less to wear out in an EV vs ICE.

In 1999 Kodak thought digital photography could never reach the quality and definition of film. 10 years later almost no one was using film.

Kodak totally choked. They INVENTED the digital camera and deep-sixed it because they thought it would damage their film business. They were right!

That’s why electric golf carts are popular and better than gas ones.
And folks seem to like their ebikes vs their old peddle pushers.
There are two shops in Chapel Hill, NC selling e-bikes. They cost $2000-4000. The value is that they can replace a car for getting around town, doing the grocery shopping, and getting to campus. Parking in town or on campus is a pain. The bus system is free but has a limited schedule except for during the morning and afternoon commuting hours.

My daughter and I got to test ride a fancy e-bike a few weeks ago at an EV Rodeo event near Chapel Hill. If I lived in Chapel Hill, I would get one. The university and medical complex (lots of research facilities) is at the top of a hill. I rode a bike in high school and college to get to class at times. Had to go up a pretty steep hill, which is the case coming from three of four points of the compass.

The technology is definitely there to make affordable electric vehicles for most peoples needs. The reason why it hasn’t taken off yet has to do with safety laws and cultural acceptance. The micro-mobility sector is about to explode. Something between the crazy expensive fully loaded luxury EVs and a golf cart is coming soon. The range would be small. They could be produced cheaply, probably 3D printed or something crazy like that. They will also have simple skateboard platforms so you can swap out different body styles for different purposes. You could have a flatbed, van, camper or passenger vehicle with a 50 mile range or so for not a lot of money.
Doesn't get much smaller or cheaper than these cars being marketed in India.

August 2022

I'm not an engineer, but find the videos by Sandy Munro's team somewhat interesting. Here's a couple about the relatively new Tesla 4680 battery. They essentially took a battery pack apart completely, and then deconstructed one of the cells.

September 2022

August 2022

There are two shops in Chapel Hill, NC selling e-bikes. They cost $2000-4000. The value is that they can replace a car for getting around town, doing the grocery shopping, and getting to campus. Parking in town or on campus is a pain. The bus system is free but has a limited schedule except for during the morning and afternoon commuting hours.

My daughter and I got to test ride a fancy e-bike a few weeks ago at an EV Rodeo event near Chapel Hill. If I lived in Chapel Hill, I would get one. The university and medical complex (lots of research facilities) is at the top of a hill. I rode a bike in high school and college to get to class at times. Had to go up a pretty steep hill, which is the case coming from three of four points of the compass.
Isn’t that why they call it Chapel Hill?

That's interesting to see. Would be very cool if it was an excel and you could rank it.

Toyota is the hybrid king, Tesla EV. Some cars that were sold last year have zero sales this year?

Also curious Dom, you have been through a lot with Rivian. Why are you so devoted?
IDK. I am probably less devoted than some folks. Honestly primary driver is that I want a 3 row SUV that isn't super bad for the environment over time that I can occasionally take on the beach (EV's are pro rata more dirty first 18000 miles but then ridiculously cleaner unless your state's electric is very dirty like W. VA). If you go with a non hybrid or EV option than you are down to like 25 miles per gallon hwy for 3d row.

That basically leaves you a Rivian or a Highlander Hybrid. After rebate and taxes It is an incremental 20,000 (which is admittedly a lot of money) for the Rivian over a Highlander Hybrid. So to me it is paying that incremental amount for the performance of the vehicle, the frunk (a Rivain has same storage cu ft as a Yukon), the ability to go offroad pretty easily (which I use a decent amount on beach; i could sneak the highlander on but some days would be worried about being stuck).

The ridiculous performance and optionality for offroad/sport tune/all purpose/conserve are nice but not really why i am getting it. It is quite fun to do the 3.1 s 0-60 'launch' but I am sure that gets old quickly.

Of course, I will be taking on a bunch of early adopter risk. It seems there are some reports that the Rivian doesn't always play nicely with Eltrectify America.

Back