ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Everybody should have an EV. Electricity and water.....whoda thunkit

Yea EVs don't make much sense in flood zones. For that matter neither do houses.

I never said this. 400 miles is fine, I was just typing fast. Basically how far do you want to drive without taking a break. 250 isn't enough IMO. If you only own one car.
Okay, 400 miles not 500 as the minimum. Although 500 mile range is often mentioned by people who think an EV is impractical for them at this stage. I had that happen on another forum when I said my RAV4's range as a hybrid was 400 miles even in difficult driving conditions and 450 in optimal conditions.

200 miles is at least 3 hours at highway speeds. My guess is that most people need at least a rest stop after a couple of hours, although I've gone 3-4 hours at times when driving solo. Note that I'm thinking about a sedan or SUV, not a pickup. Not thinking about towing at all. I don't even like driving with a bike rack on the back of the minivan.

Agree that a household that only owns one car is very different than one with two parked somewhere near the house. Just as someone who lives in an apartment or condo where charging is not convenient is not likely to go for a BEV for quite a while. Maybe an e-bike instead.

I think when EV can go as far as other cars, and are cost competitive, and the batteries aren't enviro-disasters they will be widely accepted and make sense. I was looking for input on when it could happen.
The target being set as of 2022 by about 20 states is 2035 in terms of requiring new car sales to be BEVs. A lot needs to happen in the next ten years if that target is to remain viable.

Note that new car sales in Norway are almost at 80% BEV, with PHEV sales declining slightly. I would guess that most of the BEVs are small cars. Of course, Norway is a pretty small country if someone only drives there and neighboring Sweden. Oslo to Stockholm (far side of Sweden) is only 350 miles.

Yea EVs don't make much sense it flood zones. For that matter neither do houses.
Can't resist . . . driving away from a house at high risk of post-hurricane flooding after Ian passed through FL. I gather the guy does a lot of YouTube videos about his Telsa.

Okay, 400 miles not 500 as the minimum. Although 500 mile range is often mentioned by people who think an EV is impractical for them at this stage. I had that happen on another forum when I said my RAV4's range as a hybrid was 400 miles even in difficult driving conditions and 450 in optimal conditions.

200 miles is at least 3 hours at highway speeds. My guess is that most people need at least a rest stop after a couple of hours, although I've gone 3-4 hours at times when driving solo. Note that I'm thinking about a sedan or SUV, not a pickup. Not thinking about towing at all. I don't even like driving with a bike rack on the back of the minivan.

Agree that a household that only owns one car is very different than one with two parked somewhere near the house. Just as someone who lives in an apartment or condo where charging is not convenient is not likely to go for a BEV for quite a while. Maybe an e-bike instead.

The target being set as of 2022 by about 20 states is 2035 in terms of requiring new car sales to be BEVs. A lot needs to happen in the next ten years if that target is to remain viable.

Note that new car sales in Norway are almost at 80% BEV, with PHEV sales declining slightly. I would guess that most of the BEVs are small cars. Of course, Norway is a pretty small country if someone only drives there and neighboring Sweden. Oslo to Stockholm (far side of Sweden) is only 350 miles.
On road trips we only stop when we need gas, so 5-6 hrs...i still think the key to wide spread ev acceptance is quick charging , 10 mins max...preferably 5-7 mins

Can you tell me more about this? When will affordable EVs got 500 miles? When will battery mining and recycling improve to the point where EVs are sustainable?

My questions are sincere. I hope you will open my eyes.

That's a fair question Harvey. Disclaimer: I'm no expert and don't own an EV but I find EV's and Plug-in Hybrids to be of growing interest and am interested to watch it evolve in the mainstream.

From 2008 to 2020 volumetric energy density increased >8x

Technology to rapidly charge EV batteries to near full in 5 mins https://amp.theguardian.com/environ...es-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times

On road trips we only stop when we need gas, so 5-6 hrs...i still think the key to wide spread ev acceptance is quick charging , 10 mins max...preferably 5-7 mins

I agree with this. If you can't drive all day, charging has to be fast.

I agree with this. If you can't drive all day, charging has to be fast.
The new Formula E Gen 3 cars go over 200 mph and fully charge in 30 seconds. Is that fast enough?

The new Formula E Gen 3 cars go over 200 mph and fully charge in 30 seconds. Is that fast enough?
Fast enough for me. Why isn't that available to all? $$$$$?

Back