ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

That’s why electric golf carts are popular and better than gas ones.
And folks seem to like their ebikes vs their old peddle pushers.
Love my electric utility Club Car and ebike.

The technology is definitely there to make affordable electric vehicles for most peoples needs. The reason why it hasn’t taken off yet has to do with safety laws and cultural acceptance. The micro-mobility sector is about to explode. Something between the crazy expensive fully loaded luxury EVs and a golf cart is coming soon. The range would be small. They could be produced cheaply, probably 3D printed or something crazy like that. They will also have simple skateboard platforms so you can swap out different body styles for different purposes. You could have a flatbed, van, camper or passenger vehicle with a 50 mile range or so for not a lot of money.

When you put 50k miles on your car and look at the total cost of ownership things start to make more sense. I can buy a 90k vehicle and pay the same over 5 years as 50k gas car. In addition I have a truck rather than a sedan. no longer have to pump gas. Not to mention I'll blow the doors off of every muscle car out there. I'll never do it but knowing you can is the point. Oh and I'm saving the environment. Lol I could give two shots about that myself to be honest. That said my environmental foot print is greener than most.
Point taken TJ ..

serious question : would the battery last that 450,000 miles ? If not ,,what's the replacement cost of a battery that for sake of illustration craps out at say 300k ?

Point taken TJ ..

serious question : would the battery last that 450,000 miles ? If not ,,what's the replacement cost of a battery that for sake of illustration craps out at say 300k ?
I'll let you know. I believe they can and have but you lose mileage when they get older.. i have looked at replacement costs but didn't pay much attention. It's... I'm guessing 6k

True
I should've said "for a long time". My bad.
I don't think it will be as long as some think. Battery technology is evolving rapidly. In 1999 Kodak thought digital photography could never reach the quality and definition of film. 10 years later almost no one was using film.

In the past, every time I traded in my CRV at 100k I got $10k for them. Is there a list of cars by depreciation and resale? Probably wouldn't change what I buy, but I am curious.

I would bet that EVs that are close to the end of the battery warrantee would drop a lot.
Love both my CRV's--- yeah I own two :)

I think the batteries are required by law to last 100k miles right? I’m pretty sure range deteriorates pretty rapidly after that and buying a new battery is like buying a whole new ICE vehicle. I haven’t heard of any EVs going 300k miles.

I think the batteries are required by law to last 100k miles right? I’m pretty sure range deteriorates pretty rapidly after that and buying a new battery is like buying a whole new ICE vehicle. I haven’t heard of any EVs going 300k miles.
OMG u should preface your posts with I don't know shit about shit before writing what you think you know. That was a joke, my comment.
300,000 to 500,000 miles

Last edited:
Back