ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

That's fine for those who don't have families or don't need trucks.
What's a family of 5 going to buy?
What's a person that needs a 3/4 ton truck going to buy?
It's being forced. It feels like a square peg in a round hole.
IT seems to me that Ford has all those covered.
I think it's getting close to the tipping point. Even I'm at the point where I might give up my clutch pedal. You're gonna have to sell EVs whether you like it or not. FWIW the most money is made when the markets are disrupted in some way, so you should be OK.

mm

I went to an EV Rodeo last weekend. It was a joint effort between a small local town and an EV "club" that's been around for several years. Carrboro is next to Chapel Hill, NC where the original Univ. of NC campus is located. As in Carolina basketball under Dean Smith and Roy Williams. There are plenty of EVs, PHEVs, and hybrids in the Triangle (Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh) already. Might even be a Rivian R1T around.

There was a Chevy Bolt, along with about a dozen other EV or PHEV cars. Most of the owners were volunteers who brought their cars and were willing to answer questions. I brought my 2021 RAV4 Prime. The most expensive was the Mercedes EBQ that was provided by a dealer. Seeing a Ford Mach-E next to a Kia EV6 was the most interesting for me.

In the Triangle, a 2023 Chevy Bolt can be bought for $27K to $37K depending on dealer and specs. Most people have a commute that is under 20 miles 1-way.

There was an e-bike store that brought models for test rides. First time for me and my daughter to check one out.

White car on the end is a Chevy Bolt, blue car is a Tesla Model 3, next white car is a Tesla Model Y
Carrboro EV Rodeo 2022 Bolt - 1.jpeg

Red cars from left to right: Ford Mach-E, Kia EV6, Chevy Bolt
Carrboro EV Rodeo 2022 - 2.jpeg

Ford Mach-E close to the camera, Kia EV6 behind has a smaller storage area under the hood
Carrboro EV Rodeo 2022 - 3.jpeg

Kia EV6 owner was one of the event's organizers, he's an independent real estate agent, note license plate
Carrboro EV Rodeo 2022 - 4.jpeg

Right
Now gas/fuel and EV'S are out of reach for the common folk.
Just like any new product the price will eventually come down significantly. How much was a big screen TV when they first came out? How much was a smart phone when they first came out? Other than the cost of the battery, the number of components in an EV is much less than a ICE vehicle. A battery and 2 or 4 electric motors. No engine block, valves, fuel injector, cooling system, exhaust system, etc. The cost will eventually be less for an EV than an ICE vehicle.
I don't get the narrative that anyone is shoving EVs down our throat. The demand outstrips the supply right now. You can buy a Dodge Ram 3500 with a 6.7L HighCummins Turbo Diesel and burn all the fuel you want. Nobody is making anyone buy an EV.

I don't get the narrative that anyone is shoving EVs down our throat. The demand outstrips the supply right now. You can buy a Dodge Ram 3500 with a 6.7L HighCummins Turbo Diesel and burn all the fuel you want. Nobody is making anyone buy an EV.
For now

Nobody is making anyone buy an EV.
As of this fall, there are almost 20 states that have regulations that will mean no ICE car sales after a specific year in the not so distant future. NY is in the process of defining regulations. Of course, like any target date the situation could change before we get to that year.

September 29, 2022

Back