ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Would love to the see the IIHS crash test ratings on this
I don’t think there will be any.

“It’s a three-wheel enclosed vehicle, and therefore, it is classified as an ”auto-cycle” in most markets.
It means that it is not subject to all the same strict safety requirements of a car or truck”

As stated in the article, this increases the chances of it going into production.

I think it’s cool. For $25,000 I’d get one. They even have a camper version.

It would help the EV movement a lot if they just ditched safety standards entirely. While they’re at it they can reimpose a national 55 speed limit and require governors on new vehicles.

I don't think I want to drive around on American roads in 1800 pounds of fiberglass and battery with no mandated crash capabilities. I would rather drive a Chevy Bolt for similar vehicle cost, have the full compliment of safety/crash requirements and spend a few hundred dollars more for electricity/year.

I don’t blame you. Conversely we could calm down, repeal the 2035 mandates and just continue to improve our ICE vehicles (which are already way better than they used to be) until we have a better handle on things.

I don’t blame you. Conversely we could calm down, repeal the 2035 mandates and just continue to improve our ICE vehicles (which are already way better than they used to be) until we have a better handle on things.
From what I have read and watched. We have reached the max technology with ICE.

I don't think I want to drive around on American roads in 1800 pounds of fiberglass and battery with no mandated crash capabilities.

I don't think you ever will.

I don't understand why hybrids are being abandoned. Seems like a good transition. Far less battery to dispose of, and no range anxiety.

I don't think I want to drive around on American roads in 1800 pounds of fiberglass and battery with no mandated crash capabilities. I would rather drive a Chevy Bolt for similar vehicle cost, have the full compliment of safety/crash requirements and spend a few hundred dollars more for electricity/year.
Would be more fun than a golf cart in the big retirement communities that allow golf carts. ;)

I don't understand why hybrids are being abandoned. Seems like a good transition. Far less battery to dispose of, and no range anxiety.
Who says hybrids are being abandoned?

My friend who bought a Honda hybrid SUV a couple years ago got a call from the dealer recently. The question asked was whether or not he was interested in selling his current hybrid . . . for the price he paid originally. He was interested when I was researching the RAV4 Prime PHEV in early 2020 but wasn't quite ready to commit.

For me, a PHEV is the best of both approaches. Essentially an EV when I'm at home and a hybrid when traveling. I often drive over 400 miles in a day and can do 600-700 miles solo without trying hard.

FYI, my husband bought a second RAV4 Prime from the same central NY dealership. I picked it up on the way home from Lake Placid with my daughter. The new one is a white XSE with black trim. The blue SE we bought in late 2020 has become my daughter's car. We got one of the last Primes as an out-of-state buyer. Toyota won't let dealerships sell out of state any more. Too many people bought a Prime and then immediately re-sold it in the new state for a premium price.

Would be more fun than a golf cart in the big retirement communities that allow golf carts. ;)
True, but 2 seat golf carts can be found as low as $2.5k - no where near $30K. It also looks like it will be difficult for those in the retired age group to get in and out of the Aptera. Plus, the Aptera is 177 inches long vs 92 inches for a 2 seat golf cart.
I think there is a market for the Aptera - but there are lots of issues.

Back