ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I've watched enough videos with Sandy Munro to know that if he doesn't like something, he says so. Makes it a bit surprising how much he likes the R1T and Rivian in general. That comes across in the Kickoff video for the tear down that started a couple weeks ago.

Are they selling any at that price?
2 R1Ts sold for $119K each at Bring a Trailer.
There’s another auction going now for a third one.
Bid ends in 2 days. Bid is @ $97K now.

No ,next one IF I buy at all will be Rav Prime or Prius prime.Right now my 2018 Outback ltd has only 22k on it ,Just got 34'mpg on a round trip .Our daily driver 14'Rav XLE has 64,5 k gets 30, So we're Ok for awhile

Ah, not exactly Ford but a few individual dealers who are marking up the price. Big difference between how people can buy a Ford, a Rivian, or a Toyota depending on what state they live in.

". . .
Ford has started to deliver the F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck, but some dealers are taking advantage of the demand. One of them was spotted doubling the price of the electric pickup by adding a $69,000 markup.
. . .
Earlier this year, Ford warned dealers about engaging in these practices, but the automaker has limited power when it comes to controlling dealership price. The automaker can limit the F-150 Lighting allocation, the number of units it delivers to those dealers, if they mark them up too much.

More recently, Ford also told dealers not to sell F-150 Lightning demo vehicles too quickly, or they will face fines.
. . ."

Ford should experiment with selling them directly. Gouging like that may be legal.. It's their business do as you will but their should be repercussions. Hopefully Ford cuts them out of the lightening market.

No ,next one IF I buy at all will be Rav Prime or Prius prime.Right now my 2018 Outback ltd has only 22k on it ,Just got 34'mpg on a round trip .Our daily driver 14'Rav XLE has 64,5 k gets 30, So we're Ok for awhile
Just finished a quick round trip to Lake Placid from NC with my daughter for a special event. Stayed at a friend's house in town for the weekend. Was fun to be able to plug in my RAV4 Prime overnight and do EV miles while in LP. Got about 40 mpg for the 2300 mile total miles that included a little EV. We used the option to charge while driving a few times when we forgot to switch to EV after a stop.

The Prime onboard computer includes EV miles in the MPG estimate provided when in HV mode. A little odd when it says "60 MPG" when I'm at home and using mostly EV miles.

The RAV4 Prime is a nice replacement for the 2007 minivan with 300,000+ miles on it that I used to drive to LP and/or Boston when my daughter was in school up north. We've had it since Nov 2020. Will be driving it to Colorado again this Dec.

Last edited:
Back