ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Interesting.

Rivian partnered with Pirelli for tires. Clearly assorted tweaks from an engineering and materials standpoint.

The article seemed to imply that EVs need quieter tires? Is that because the engine doesn't make as much noise?

I saw a Rivian yesterday.
Perhaps "need" isn't the best word. If a tire design results in more noise, it will be much more noticeable when driving an EV or in EV mode with a Plug-in Hybrid. Given the current price of EV vehicles, the target market is probably more sensitive to hearing noise during a test drive or early days after purchase.

Having no engine noise when off-roading was mentioned in more than one video of people testing out the R1T. There is no engine noise in EV mode with my RAV4 Prime. It's different.

What color Rivian?

The article seemed to imply that EVs need quieter tires? Is that because the engine doesn't make as much noise?

I saw a Rivian yesterday.
That's my assumption, yes. Or it could be from the weight of the batteries? Or a combo of both?

With a price like that either they are selling at that price or there is zero supply.

Are they selling any at that price?
With a price like that either they are selling at that price or there is zero supply.
Yep, Supply & Demand rules.

There was an R1T sold a few weeks ago for $135K. Apparently one that was listed at $150K around the same time wasn't getting much quick interest.

Not many people who finally got an R1T after the long wait want to give it up. Even Sandy Munro ended up keeping the R1T that was bought to be torn apart. It's his wife's new car now. His group got another one to tear down. Sandy gets to drive the personal one every so often. He likes it a lot more than he expected.

Back