ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I think Tesla's first profit was 2020, and they were in business for 10 or 15 years before that? I guess Elon is saying he was smart and kept his operation small while it was losing money.

Building charging into the road sounds kind of like a train or trolley car to me.

I think Tesla's first profit was 2020, and they were in business for 10 or 15 years before that? I guess Elon is saying he was smart and kept his operation small while it was losing money.

Building charging into the road sounds kind of like a train or trolley car to me.
He is full of crap. He sold carbon credits to make money. He loves to bitch about the "Government", but those carbon credits are the only reason Tesla survived.

There is a mine in Canada that is testing out having electric trucks based on having electric lines overhead. The article includes a video clip.

June 10, 2022 (Canada)
" . . .
To get a sense of the system, picture the trolley wires and poles used to electrically power buses in urban centres, but on a giant scale.

The cables currently cover a one-kilometre stretch out of the pit, with seven trucks equipped to take advantage of the electricity.

Walt Halipchuck, the company’s director of sustainable business development, spearheaded the initiative.

A traditional haul truck, he said, burns about 35 litres of diesel fuel on the one-kilometre climb out of the mining pit. The new trolley-assisted trucks burn under one litre for the same trip.

“The GHGs are basically less than 1 kg of GHG emissions, compared to about 85kg of GHG CO2 with diesel,” he said.

The program is the first of its kind in B.C. and Canada, and the first time a similar system has been used in North America since the 1980s, according to the company.
. . ."

There is a mine in Canada that is testing out having electric trucks based on having electric lines overhead. The article includes a video clip.

June 10, 2022 (Canada)
" . . .
To get a sense of the system, picture the trolley wires and poles used to electrically power buses in urban centres, but on a giant scale.

The cables currently cover a one-kilometre stretch out of the pit, with seven trucks equipped to take advantage of the electricity.

Walt Halipchuck, the company’s director of sustainable business development, spearheaded the initiative.

A traditional haul truck, he said, burns about 35 litres of diesel fuel on the one-kilometre climb out of the mining pit. The new trolley-assisted trucks burn under one litre for the same trip.

“The GHGs are basically less than 1 kg of GHG emissions, compared to about 85kg of GHG CO2 with diesel,” he said.

The program is the first of its kind in B.C. and Canada, and the first time a similar system has been used in North America since the 1980s, according to the company.
. . ."
How’s the electricity made to power the trucks?
If it isn't nuclear, hydropower, solar or wind ya got to add that CO2 into their equations...

How’s the electricity made to power the trucks?
If it isn't nuclear, hydropower, solar or wind ya got to add that CO2 into their equations...
Not sure. The Canadian who posted the link to another ski forum keeps noting that Canada has a lot of hydropower.

Not sure. The Canadian who posted the link to another ski forum keeps noting that Canada has a lot of hydropower.
I found this on my phone maps by accident. Not sure how much power it generates but pretty ingenious use .

Back