HVAC: What's best for cold climates?

I was wondering if it (genny) is allowed by the 2024 rule.

From what I have been reading I don't THINK this is a law yet? Anyone know?

This is what I am thinking.

Also can you run a generator?
I'm not an electrician. But ask about setting it up so you can plug the generator into the main box coming into the house. Run the entire house with the generator. Even if you don't get the generator at first putting the apparatus in while they are building it will be much cheaper then adding it in later. Probably someone in here will have an idea. I'm interested to hear the answer.

I'm not an electrician. But ask about setting it up so you can plug the generator into the main box coming into the house. Run the entire house with the generator. Even if you don't get the generator at first putting the apparatus in while they are building it will be much cheaper then adding it in later. Probably someone in here will have an idea. I'm interested to hear the answer.
My dad has it set up so all he has to do is throw the main switch, and poof! His entire house is lit up.
You are correct.

I don't know so I'm curious too.
I still think/hope/pray that this will be regional in NYS. I would think it almost has to be.

All those rules are going to be future sales if you already have it they can't tell you to disable it. And up in that neck of the woods I think outdoor wood stoves are still legal. If you were in the village is north creek I think it would be a no right now.

I don't have anything yet. I am talking new construction.

Would like to hear what @Cork has to say.

I’m a pro at pulling out the generator and switching my power over. I have a 5kw generator that starts almost first pull, I store it in a heated place so I don’t have fuel problems.
My power goes out 6-10 times a year and once was out for a week. I have a small transfer panel that has a rocker switch that shuts down the incoming power as you never want to back feed power to your utility co.

The panel has a 30amp male plug attached to a cord that goes through a pvc pipe outside and plugs into the generator.

I don’t run every circuit in the house just enough for well pump , freezer fridge and a couple lights. I switch off my Geo system and run my oil system temporarily.

My wife has been lobbying for an automatic propane generator . Maybe next year.

Harvey I think if you go with a propane combination boiler you would be fine with that size generator as well. That unit doesn’t draw very much power and it will do domestic water on demand too.

This discussion has me thinking this would be the hot setup:

Heat Pump with radiant, combo of floors, towel racks and Runtal radiator
Propane backup furnace
Propane genny

Of course I have no idea what all that will cost.

My folks have a natural gas genny that is permanently connected and turns itself on automatically when the power goes out.

It's pretty sweet.

This discussion has me thinking this would be the hot setup:

Heat Pump with radiant, combo of floors, towel racks and Runtal radiator
Propane backup furnace
Propane genny

Of course I have no idea what all that will cost.

My folks have a natural gas genny that is permanently connected and turns itself on automatically when the power goes out.

It's pretty sweet.
Why not the wood boiler? Kinda dependent on propane.

Back