HVAC: What's best for cold climates?

Seems like work.

Oh yea propane stove!

From what I have been reading I don't THINK this is a law yet? Anyone know?

Text from AA, our builder...

Screenshot_20221230-233511_Messages.jpg

don't forget the spray foam. that is the key to the whole thing. keep the critters out and heat in. that will be money well spent. can anyone speak to the radiator towel racks? the look good, just wondering how well they work

don't forget the spray foam. that is the key to the whole thing. keep the critters out and heat in. that will be money well spent. can anyone speak to the radiator towel racks? the look good, just wondering how well they work

I was thinking foam in the ceiling and fiberglass in the walls. Are you doing anything about breaking the thermal bridge? Was considering a layer of hard foam on the exterior.

If spray foam reduces critters I may go that way, I hadn't heard that.

I heard that the radiator towel racks work well, but no direct experience.

I don’t think foam is needed anymore. They have house wrap now that has air gaps to allow moisture to dry and prevent rot.

I have heat pumps throughout my house in New Jersey - They are all Fujitsu Inverters with variable speed compressors that run as fast or slow as needed depending on the amount of output needed. 3 of the systems were installed by the previous owner over 10 years ago and have SEER ratings around 15 and are all the on wall ductless mini splits. We recently replaced/expanded the 4th system to be 1 32K BTU minisplit monster in the attic where it can be 120F in summer, and then 3 hidden ducted units for the bedrooms. This new system has a SEER of 22 which is insanely energy efficient and works down to -15F.

I REALY like the hidden ducted systems. They look like central air but allow you to set the temp in each room individually which is great for bedrooms. They also have the benefit of having thermostats on the wall which act as temperature readers to more accurately control the real temperature in the room.

A simple explanation of why they are so efficient is instead of creating heat by burning dinosaur juice, it simply moves it from outside -> in, or inside -> out.

Harvey - I don't know the layout of your place, but if it's possible, I would do a ducted mini split system with the handlers in the basement ceiling, and with the vents being at floor level on the first floor. Putting the vents on the floor for winter heating in the first floor is important and it's my one complaint about the original system from the previous owner. If I ever need to replace my first floor system that's what I'll do. For the 2nd floor you can do ducted (if you can) and put the vents wherever, or just do regular minisplits. For the 2nd floor if you can't do ducted, and don't want the minisplit on the wall, they also have ceiling cassettes that are designed to fit in between the joists. My joists were too narrow so this wasn't an option for me.

If you can get the vents at floor level you don't need radiant heated floors. For backup heat when the power is out I would just get a generator (or a solar panel and a battery)

Also you probably want a split in the basement blowing heat up at the floor. We have that, though I keep it set at 50 as the basement is my exercise room and I like it frigid AF

Harvey - I don't know the layout of your place
3 floors:

Full basement, walk out on one side
1st floor - half open to the second floor
2nd floor is a only half a floor

house - 1.jpeg

Back