HVAC: What's best for cold climates?

I want to hear more about this, please.

Backup is non-negotiable. Both propane and wood.

It’s in a fairly large home , 3 zones of ductwork. All hardwood floors , the max floor temperature with Radiant is 80° . Anything above will dry out the floor. When it’s really cold the air system makes up the difference in heat demand. There’s a 70 gallon storage tank for the Radiant zones. The water temperature in the tank is controlled by an outside temperature sensor so when the room thermostat calls for heat the circulating pumps kick on as needed. Ac runs normally.

Pricey install but it’s a way to get both types of heat without two systems.

There is need for a ground loop system like a regular Geothermal system. Wells or a pond, that can be pricey as well but there’s a long term dividend.

Attachments

• 49C10D2B-8EEC-4C4F-8858-768F2432D8E6.jpeg
    49C10D2B-8EEC-4C4F-8858-768F2432D8E6.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 59
Air source heat pumps absorb heat from the outside air. This heat can then be used to heat radiators, underfloor heating systems, or warm air convectors and hot water in your home. An air source heat pump extracts heat from the outside air in the same way that a fridge extracts heat from its inside.

Best for the mountains? Don't even fuck around. Get an outside wood boiler with radiant heat.
That's the way I'm going here.

Best for the mountains? Don't even fuck around. Get an outside wood boiler with radiant heat.
That's the way I'm going here.
Are those things even legal anymore? Lol. That is what I will use to. I will also have a backup boiler I can cut into with a few valves when I want to switch sources. It will all be in my garage with the pipes underground.

Are those things even legal anymore? Lol. That is what I will use to. I will also have a backup boiler I can cut into with a few valves when I want to switch sources. It will all be in my garage with the pipes underground.
If a person doesn't mind a little bit of work it's really the way to go. It doesn't take long and you're heating for free.
I love cutting and splitting wood. Hate stacking it but it will be worth it.

I have an app on my phone that controls my HVAC. I didn’t go to engineering school to chop wood like some kind of barbarian.

mm
Obviously
We don't chop anymore, old-timer. We split wood with a gas powered wood splitter....lol
P.s. your stupid app wouldn't work in many areas of the NYS ADK, or even CNY

If a person doesn't mind a little bit of work it's really the way to go. It doesn't take long and you're heating for free.
I love cutting and splitting wood. Hate stacking it but it will be worth it.

I have an app on my phone that controls my HVAC. I didn’t go to engineering school to chop wood like some kind of barbarian.

mm
I believe Camp is related to The Vikings, just saying.

Back