Hunter Conditions

I am starting to think that the Vail people at Hunter got the message, the guns were going on much of the mountain for the last two and a half days, even with a prediction of rain on Thursday, maybe get a pond skim??????? But please Vail next year try and make snow during prime season and you will have more than enough for the end of season, kudos for this week

I think they are doing their best to stay open until the announced closing day of April 10. Especially after they missed their scheduled opening day.

I believe or heard a Hunter Lift rumor that there was a few Vailieys sent there, I would guess that they would have someone from corporate on scene, nothing wrong with that, Other rumors they tried to keep people but wages too low and the place had gone from Slutsky's relative relaxed to Peaks midwestern calm to Vail and this new culture just rubbed many the wrong way, combined with Covid insanity resulting in a migration of some key people,. Now none of this is verified just stuff I heard., and as you know everyone at Hunter has at least two opinions on everything. It was disappointing when there were multiple cold spells with little snow making in January . Why? you'd have to ask management, there could be good reasons, lack of workers, humidity, impending rain? But I will give them credit for what they did this week, especially since there are almost no one skiing except pass holders, and they did announce a higher minimum wage a few weeks ago. The area is undergoing somewhat of a boom and construction has been going on through the cold months even outside, so workers may be hard to find,. H2B visas were restricted because of Covid but it's my understanding the current administration has recently loosened these rules and hopefully will expand the program if the labor shortage continues into next year.

But please Vail next year try and make snow during prime season and you will have more than enough for the end of season, kudos for this week
Seems it would be financially better & more environmentally friendly to make snow in the cold snaps in the winter than now.
Build the base ❄️ thingy

Last edited:
Hunter is using the moniker "The People's Mountain" on social media.

I'm wondering what the thinking is.

Back