Greek Peak Conditions

PXL_20221224_155238298.jpg

Skied Monday and Tuesday this week. The hill is about as good as it could be after last week's snow, rain, snow and cold. I spent so much time teaching novices I only got a few runs off the top yesterday. Olympian is basically skied off. So it was closed yesterday morning. Odyssey, Iliad, Fields, Karyatis, Epicurian to Castor, Trojan and Marathon to Castor were all pretty nice. The old water line under Zuess broke over the weekend, but was repaired by yesterday and they were making snow on the connecting trails from Chair 5, as well as on Mars. But they weren't open. Still not enough snow yesterday to open 5. Still no Chair 2 this season, but its not for lack of snow.... we don't have enough liftees. On Monday they put ski instructors on the 2 magic carpet lifts and to manage the lift line on Visions. People needed to be told to quad up. Over and Over and Over.... What is it, do people prefer standing in line to going up the hill with strangers?

I ski single and was watching where to join others. On my first ride up, there were two people right next to me in line. When I got close to the gates for the carpet, they had dropped back, still chatting about what was important to them. I rode up alone. Sigh.

I have met some really interesting people on the lift. Today was a guy whose grandfather shot a grizzly with a bow. The guy was in his mid 60s, for time perspective. Then there was the obstetrician who was panicking because 1 had stopped and he had to perform a c-section in a couple of hours. :p

I blame Covid. Plus it was kinda hard to ski up to the lift in time, at least without poles. But yeah, conditions were pretty fantastic on Monday!

I have met some really interesting people on the lift. Today was a guy whose grandfather shot a grizzly with a bow. The guy was in his mid 60s, for time perspective. Then there was the obstetrician who was panicking because 1 had stopped and he had to perform a c-section in a couple of hours. :p
Damn, the dude shot a grizzly with an arrow?? Wow! That's on my list of things not to do!
Too funny about the Doc

. On Monday they put ski instructors on the 2 magic carpet lifts and to manage the lift line on Visions. People needed to be told to quad up. Over and Over and Over.... What is it, do people prefer standing in line to going up the hill with strangers?
It's great you guys are jumping in to help. Yeah, you definitely can't fix stupid. I think they need those hard nosed lifties back. You know the ones I mean. When I was a kid growing up skiing, some of those dudes were down right scary. You knew to do what you were told or you we're in deep shit.

I agree. At Jiminy Peak, many years ago, I met a dude who did a tour flying F-102s in SEA during Vietnam. That turned out to be kind of boring for him so he went back and flew low level FAC missions in OV-10s. He was skiing with his grandson, enjoying his retirement. I’m glad it was prior to them installing that high speed six pack. I never would have gotten as much detail as I did on the slow old Riblet triple.

Last edited:
What is it, do people prefer standing in line to going up the hill with strangers?
I agree, was Skiing Monday got there at 1:00 and lift line was very long. I avoid Visions lift at all costs whenever possible. When I do ride it I go furthest left and wait till I see a double or triple moving threw and ask if I can join them. Never had anyone say no yet.

When they finally opened chair 1 things got much better. IMO they should open that lift up much sooner as opposed to waiting till things get way backed up. Of course I say that as a consumer not understanding the bodies available to do so.

Eventually they closed lift 1 down and thing’s started backing up again. To my surprise a employee was making sure each chair was full making things much quicker. Might be all they need at time’s, a little guidance.

I agree, was Skiing Monday got there at 1:00 and lift line was very long. I avoid Visions lift at all costs whenever possible. When I do ride it I go furthest left and wait till I see a double or triple moving threw and ask if I can join them. Never had anyone say no yet.

When they finally opened chair 1 things got much better. IMO they should open that lift up much sooner as opposed to waiting till things get way backed up. Of course I say that as a consumer not understanding the bodies available to do so.

Eventually they closed lift 1 down and thing’s started backing up again. To my surprise a employee was making sure each chair was full making things much quicker. Might be all they need at time’s, a little guidance.
The decisions about which lifts to operate is now staffing driven. As in do we have enough. Today Lift 5 is supposed to run. It will be interesting to see if we have enough staff to do so.... I may never get over there... teaching from 2 to 7.

Back