Gore Mountain Conditions

You're scapegoating the High Peaks Quad for every problem at Gore the same way the Whiteface people always scapegoat The Wilmington Trail for every problem at Whiteface. Even if they still had the double, you need all of Cloud to get from Straightbrook to High Peaks, and there's no way they would've opened if they were relying on that crappy lift as the only way to the summit.

I guess the problem with opening the trails on the North side is lack of snow for the quad off ramp &/or past the saddle lodge.

Both Sleeping Bear & Tahawus trails should still have more than enough snow for some nice fun turns.

It’d be nice if folks could put some ❄️whales in the bank up there in a shady spot for that.

Last edited:
Uh
You're scapegoating the High Peaks Quad … opened if they were relying on that crappy lift as the only way to the summit.
You’re posing a false choice. No one disagrees that the double had to be replaced with a reliable lift. But the replacement only added 800 feet of a trail that is not much more interesting than Tannery while obscuring the best views of the High Peaks, leaving lift riders more wind exposed, damaging Dark Side and adding more area to cover with snow. You get to skate over to Straightbrook but maybe you lose a weekend in the spring. They also added Backwoods, widened Arena, and they’re gonna extend the Hudson chair. All that requires more snow coverage but snowmaking improvements never keep up with the new requirements. They also recut Steilhang to make easier to cover and groom but AFAIK it’s only been open 2 days in the 3 years since they did it. Also dumb competitions that don’t make money, disrupt operations and suck up snowmaking resources. And it’s only gonna get worse because they’re gonna need to move snowmaking over to Ski Bowl to justify the $30 million they’re spending there.

But we’re getting a zippy coaster so we got that going for us.

mm

Uh

But we’re getting an zippy coaster all electric tree top trolley to nowhere so we got that going for us.
FIFY.
How far up do the black flies fly?
Do ya gotta bring yer ski goggles so ya don’t get whacked in the eyes by the dang bugs?
If ya ooh, ahh & wheee a lot ya might be able to get a free bug snack to boot.

As a new Gore skier I was not fully aware of the history of the High Peaks lift. Was the basic trade-off getting people a bit closer to the top of Straightbrook at the cost of ruining part of the liftline run?

Think positive people!😎⛷️
IMG_6450.png

As a new Gore skier I was not fully aware of the history of the High Peaks lift. Was the basic trade-off getting people a bit closer to the top of Straightbrook at the cost of ruining part of the liftline run?

Maybe.

I'm not sure of the vintage of the double.

It wasn't fully original. The original chair was called the summit chair and it went to the spot the new quad goes now. As the story goes, when it was replaced it was replaced with a shorter lift — the double.

It was old and beautiful, a classic NY lift line:

Dark-Side-Liftline-1.jpg

They had to replace it, it was old and unreliable. Still something was lost.

I guess the problem with opening the trails on the North side is lack of snow for the quad off ramp &/or past the saddle lodge.
Both Sleeping Bear & Tahawus trails should still have more than enough snow for some nice fun turns.
It’d be nice if folks could put some ❄️whales in the bank up there in a shady spot for that.
Think positive people!😎⛷️
Gore’s folks know snow. (y)
Now if they fired up AE2 for downloading it’d be dang EZ peasy & save folks some board⛷️🏂 scratches.

Maybe.

I'm not sure of the vintage of the double.

It was old and beautiful, a classic NY lift line:

Dark-Side-Liftline-1.jpg

They had to replace it, it was old and unreliable. Still something was lost.

The 1964? Straightbrook double was brought over and renovated to replace the original Summit double around 1995. That’s why the first High Peaks was shorter. It had to be replaced but ORDA should have made more effort to keep the Dark Side and upper Cloud more like they were before. The beauty part was what was lost but most gore skiers seem to think the extra length was worth the loss, but obviously I disagree.

mm

Back