Gore Mountain Conditions

I love Moxham.
Me too. I skied it for the first time with snowmaking this weekend and I liked it.

I generally like terrain without snowmaking, but with Moxham it's low elevation and likely to be skiable more often.

It's such a fun trail to ski.

Curious, were you day trippers or did you have lodging in the area? Enjoy.
Stayed about 20 minutes away. We're from Rochester, so it's a long commute. Yes, we like the very easy changing and bag storage. Things were busy pretty much all day, but it's vacation week, so to be expected. Gondola gets you different places than the Adirondack Express, so it's worth taking especially with no lines.

I love Moxham. I remember skiing it on late season natural snow years ago, huge bare spots to dodge. A Gore throwback, narrow with lots of turns and changes of pitch. Everything that Backwoods could have been but failed miserably.
Speaking of Backwoods, I noticed this view from Ski Bowl today. Nice massive dynamite and bulldozer cut across the side of the mountain. Wasn’t this being hyped as a new “natural “ trail for the whole summer before it opened?
Why the hate for Backwoods? It was never billed as a natural trail. It's had snowmaking from day 1, and was graded to be a blue. Are you against making it easier to get to the ski bowl? My only issue with it is that Paradox and Eagle's Nest weren't widened, so it creates a bottleneck.

None of the capital allocated last year went to increasing snowmaking capacity. It was all for efficiency upgrades and expanding snowmaking footprint.
Last year:” Around $760,000 will go to improving Gore Mountain’s Hudson River Pump House, including pump refits and reservoir pump house modifications and systems upgrades.” from the previously linked article detailing an approved ORDA resolution
they can still pump 4800 gpm out of the Hudson, and 6800 gpm out of the reservoir.
So, if Big K, as advertised, can pump 10M gallons per day.
then 10M gallons / 24hrs / 60 min = 6.9K gpm...
Hence, that gives ~6.9K gpm (don’t know if that includes Pico) for it’s advertised 73 miles of trails. (Pico advertises 19 miles of trail.)

Gore advertises 42 miles of trails...

Last edited:
First day at Gore in about 15 years, this time with 13 and 11 year old granddaughters. Bluebird day and despite the cars in the parking lot (we got there about 8:20) the slopes were not crowded. Snow was good for most of the day although it was getting scraped in spots by mid afternoon. The girls were impressed, especially the younger as she's never skied anyplace other than Bristol. Back tomorrow and Thursday for more fun.
Another bluebird day. The girls really seem to be enjoying skiing at a bigger mountain and I'm impressed with the progress the 11 year old is making. Skied Lies in the morning sun with the 13 year old but passed on Rumor.
Priceless. (y)
Got caught on a couple of cat tracks the last couple of days as we're relearning the mountain-glad I waxed the skis before the trip.
Those ain’t cat tracks. They're connectors. It’s all part of the journey.
Burnt Ridge is new since we were last here and is a nice addition.
Yup. Have fun. Stay safe.
Ya must’ve come up route 8. It’s a beautiful drive. Stop in Charlie John’s in Speculator (Sparkle City) if ya haven't. It’s a cool Adirondack store. They also have some good books.

Did y’all get to see any of the events at the arena going on now?

Last edited:
Back home, but we skied until about 1:00 today just as the rain started. Finally got over to the Ski Bowl. A little icy, but not bad. Moxham is very cool-turny and twisty. I did 46er with the 13 year old-the steep pitch was scraped, but not too bad. With softer snow (or my slalom skis) it would be fun! Overall, all of us really liked Gore. As I said in my earlier posts, we haven't been here in 15 years and the improvements and expanded terrain (along with the 70+ frequent skier tickets) make it a very attactive relatively close (4 hours) destination. Assuming we get some snow, we'll be back in March.

I love Moxham. I remember skiing it on late season natural snow years ago, huge bare spots to dodge. A Gore throwback, narrow with lots of turns and changes of pitch. Everything that Backwoods could have been but failed miserably.
Speaking of Backwoods, I noticed this view from Ski Bowl today. Nice massive dynamite and bulldozer cut across the side of the mountain. Wasn’t this being hyped as a new “natural “ trail for the whole summer before it opened?
Why do you feel the need to make up stuff about Backwoods being 'hyped as a new "natural" trail'?

It has been on the UMP since the BR HSQ was installed. It is a much needed blue ski trail at an almost 500 acre ski area. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wrapped on our presidents day ski trip and first time at Gore. Four solid days overall. Crowds were very manageable and despite the gondola going out for a while yesterday, things were mostly trouble free. Conditions today were pretty great for April but I'm not complaining, soft snow lead to a pretty significant bump in my partners progression which was really encouraging. Questions for regulars, where the hell are you supposed to eat Monday-Wednesday in the area if your accommodations doesn't have a kitchen!?

20240223_102115.jpg

20240223_095236.jpg

Wrapped on our presidents day ski trip and first time at Gore. Four solid days overall. Crowds were very manageable and despite the gondola going out for a while yesterday, things were mostly trouble free. Conditions today were pretty great for April but I'm not complaining, soft snow lead to a pretty significant bump in my partners progression which was really encouraging. Questions for regulars, where the hell are you supposed to eat Monday-Wednesday in the area if your accommodations doesn't have a kitchen!?

View attachment 23670

View attachment 23671
I believe the north creek lodge has dinner on Monday. Bullhouse (tues/wed)and op Fredrick’s in chestertown (wed)

Tom

Back