Gore Mountain Conditions

It’s called r**n.

They’ve recently enlarged the snowmaking reservoir to account for the difference in river/res. pump capacity...
Are ya saying the capital allocated last year for snowmaking wasn’t enough and/or spent correctly?
Check out May ’23 ORDA board meeting & this article.
If Hudson water withdrawal permit was the bottleneck ya’d think it’d be mentioned by someone else sometime.

None of the capital allocated last year went to increasing snowmaking capacity. It was all for efficiency upgrades and expanding snowmaking footprint.

No matter what the reservoir size is, or how many automated low E guns they have, they can still pump 4800 gpm out of the Hudson, and 6800 gpm out of the reservoir. That is the limiting factor. If you wonder why they're struggling to get to Rumor, or skipping Pete Gay, Twin Fawns, and Lower Steilhang altogether, or not resurfacing trails that need it, that is why. They just don't have the water available.

The 2018 upgrade absolutely made a difference. It's just that they continued to expand their snowmaking footprint and commitments far beyond even what the new system could handle. Since then they:

-Added Backwoods
-Added snowmaking to Moxham
-Added snowmaking to Lower Steilhang
-Widened Wild Air and 2B
-Widened Sunway and Bear Cub
-Started hosting freestyle competitions that require large snowmaking commitments

Next year they're going to add even more terrain to the ski bowl. The 2018 system just can't keep up, and just 6 years later, it needs to be upgraded again. It's hard for me to get excited about new terrain when they have a hard time covering their existing trails.

That’s a legit observation. More pipe is fine but increasing pumping /compressor capacity is what makes things happen quickly in a short temperature window.

That’s a legit observation. More pipe is fine but increasing pumping /compressor capacity is what makes things happen quickly in a short temperature window.
So true!

My understanding is that my beloved Greek Peak is going to be installing a new pump that will allow them to make snow on the entire hill all at once. That's a major game changer.

I like this.
I love Moxham. I remember skiing it on late season natural snow years ago, huge bare spots to dodge. A Gore throwback, narrow with lots of turns and changes of pitch. Everything that Backwoods could have been but failed miserably.
Speaking of Backwoods, I noticed this view from Ski Bowl today. Nice massive dynamite and bulldozer cut across the side of the mountain. Wasn’t this being hyped as a new “natural “ trail for the whole summer before it opened?

Attachments

• IMG_2363.jpeg
    IMG_2363.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 62
Another bluebird day. The girls really seem to be enjoying skiing at a bigger mountain and I'm impressed with the progress the 11 year old is making. Skied Lies in the morning sun with the 13 year old but passed on Rumor. Once again lots of cars, people in the lodge, but no lift lines. Got caught on a couple of cat tracks the last couple of days as we're relearning the mountain-glad I waxed the skis before the trip.Burnt Ridge is new since we were last here and is a nice addition.Haven't made it to the Ski Bowl yet-looks like a bunch of flats to get there and back. One more day to explore then heading home.

First day at Gore in about 15 years, this time with 13 and 11 year old granddaughters. Bluebird day and despite the cars in the parking lot (we got there about 8:20) the slopes were not crowded. Snow was good for most of the day although it was getting scraped in spots by mid afternoon. The girls were impressed, especially the younger as she's never skied anyplace other than Bristol. Back tomorrow and Thursday for more fun.
Gondola is an attraction so most ride it at least once. The lines are present first think in the morning... then gone for the rest of the day. By 2 in the afternoon the mountain is yours. I have joked that if I left my keys could valet parking move my car from Lot D, E, or F to the front row! I also offer praise for having enough bag storage. After photos I saw from last weekend I hope there is not a repeat problem with "wall to wall dropped skis and poles". As a mid week skier that was the first time I had seen the dropped skis that bad. Curious, were you day trippers or did you have lodging in the area? Enjoy.

Back