Gore Mountain Conditions

Burnt Ridge Quad is still having issues with stoppages (as is TR3), so a repeat of last Sunday is quite possible. ;)

Burnt Ridge Quad is still having issues with stoppages (as is TR3), so a repeat of last Sunday is quite possible. ;)
And Thursday. Topridge chair down for a couple of hours mid morning.

Morning was great, snow was soft and very spring like with some nice sun. Then we got caught it a downpour of mixed precip on a stopped Topridge triple, that really changed the dynamics of the day. We went from eating lunch out on the patio with jackets off to being drenched with sleet and rain pelting us in a matter of minutes. Still was an excellent day.

Nice to see Wild Air finally open and Fairview in the best condition I think i've ever seen it.

Sadly I think whoever said Rumor may not open this year is going to be correct. Is there any shot at it opening with just natural snow?

Rumor won't open on natural snow this year, but it looks like at least a week of cold weather beginning Monday night. That should be enough to cover it. OTOH if they don't start as soon as the cold weather hits that probably means they have decided not to open it.

In other news, Belleayre and Windham have had all their snowmaking trails open, sometimes even on a Monday.

mm

Went in with low expectations for the day expecting soft snow but with the rain forecast and feared it would rain all afternoon but today far exceeded expectations. Only rained maybe an hour total and most of it was very light. Only the downpour around 12 for 15 minutes was a true soaker and I timed a visit to the saddle perfectly with the downpour thanks to monitoring the Radar. After the downpour it pretty much stopped and spitted rain a few times before starting to clear around 1:30.

Started at the bowl and hit up Sagamore. Good as it gets soft snow and flat. Cranked out 3 runs before going to Tahawus glade which was nice and soft but snow was a little grabby. From there Lies which was good. Then pretty much skiied Double Barrel and the Straightbrook liftline and/or Chati/Hawkeye to Chatti glades which were the ROTDs. Great snow and nice bumps on the lift line. Also did mix in a couple Open Pit to Lower Darby and Upper Steilhang to Hullabaloo which were also great. Did a Fairview to get back to the bowl which was good and I agree with Dmoss probably best it's been covered. Finished the day on 46er which was skiing great.

Nothing today skied bad. Everything was soft and Double Barrel being open with great snow made the day and made me happy with my decision to not only go but change plans last minute in the car and head to Gore over Belle at the exit to head south. Not that I don't like Belle but was thinking there to avoid the rain and the rain ended up being a non event for me at least.

Attachments

• PXL_20240210_190216191.jpg
    PXL_20240210_190216191.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 83
  • PXL_20240210_182654364.jpg
    PXL_20240210_182654364.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 88
I was surprised to see snowmaking on Rumor this morning, because I didn't think it was cold enough. Overall, today was a good day. It wasn't particularly crowded, and I got plenty of good runs. That being said, there were some points of frustration. Echo was closed for racing all morning, but the racing was done at around noon, which would normally allow the trail to open. But they didn't groom the upper section, so it remained closed all day. Then there was Showcase, which is still a thin ribbon at the bottom, despite mutiple opportunities to resurface it. And with the freestyle competition on 2B, you can't bypass it anymore. Additionally, Twister and Sunway have significant bare spots. Also, the summit, particularly the High Peaks side, was a sheet of ice, with no attempt made at regrooming.

Today's run count:

Gondola -> Foxlair, Wild Air
Gondola -> Uncas, Lower Uncas, Tannery
Topridge -> Pine Knot
Straightbrook -> Hawkeye
Straightbrook -> Chatiemac
Straightbrook -> Open Pit
Straightbrook -> Cloud, Santanoni
High Peaks -> Headwaters, Tannery
Topridge -> Foxlair, Quicksilver
AE2 -> Twister
AE2 -> Showcase
AE2 -> Sleeping Bear
North -> The Loop, Pete Gay
North -> Sunway, Pete's Paradise
AE2 -> Twister, Echo, Gully, Cedars
Burnt Ridge -> Backwoods, Peaceful Valley
Hudson -> Moxham
Hudson -> Moxham
Hudson -> Peaceful Valley, Eagle's Nest
Burnt Ridge -> Sagamore
Burnt Ridge -> Backwoods, Eagle's Nest
Burnt Ridge -> Sagamore
Burnt Ridge -> Hedges
North -> Wild Air
AE2 -> Wild Air
AE2 -> Wild Air
AE2 -> Lower Sunway

Total lift count:
AE2: 7
Burnt Ridge: 5
Straightbrook: 4
North: 3
Hudson: 3
Gondola: 2
Topridge: 2
High Peaks: 1

Total of 27 runs and 32,387 vertical feet.

Back