Gore Mountain Conditions

ROTD Barkeater! How does it get better without any significant snow. They opened Boreas today. I have ducked ropes with safer conditions but it was fun. Open water and at one point you ski over a bunch of downed trees with water running underneath. Sagamore, Echo and Backwoods were all really nice and the ski bowl, which was open had better weather. It wasn't precipitating as much as Burnt Ridge...That was as far as I went. Moxam and 46er were excellent...considering the season. Thank you to the snowmakers and groomers!

Dumb question - is it physically very challenging, or, instead (or maybe more specifically) would just coat everyone riding up in snow?

People and the chairs.

ROTD Barkeater! How does it get better without any significant snow.
Cause skiers beat the snot outta a firm base to make for more snow to dislodge which then gets groomed back in allowing for smoother deeper turns is my guess. Lather rinse repeat, but within liquid H2O.
Marbleogy is a corollary.

Last edited:
Because normally Fairview is last on the list for snowmaking and then making snow on it first could've meant either:

1. A change in strategy this year to blow it sooner or...
2. An issue with the system on Rumor that would never get reported and it would just mysteriously not get blown

Glad to see they are planning on blowing it. Just them being silent about it and blowing Fairview first had me thinking it may be #2 and getting concerned. Glad it's #1.

Dumb question - is it physically very challenging, or, instead (or maybe more specifically) would just coat everyone riding up in snow?
Riding a lift with snow guns in your face the whole way is not a pleasant experience. It also gets on the chairs and grips and can cause problems with the lift.

Because normally Fairview is last on the list for snowmaking and then making snow on it first could've meant either:

1. A change in strategy this year to blow it sooner or...
2. An issue with the system on Rumor that would never get reported and it would just mysteriously not get blown

Glad to see they are planning on blowing it. Just them being silent about it and blowing Fairview first had me thinking it may be #2 and getting concerned. Glad it's #1.
Snow is made where the lines are charged, and that's not necessarily where it makes the most sense to make it, or where it is most needed at the moment.

The snowmaking lines don't necessarily follow the trails on the map, or the routes that most people ski. For example, the line they installed for Backwoods extends down Peaceful Valley until it merges with Oak Ridge. Most people lap Backwoods to Eagle's Nest, but that's on a separate line starting at the top of the Hudson Chair. I'm not sure if the Fairview line connects with anything else.

It's also likely that they had the capacity available for Fairview, but not for Rumor, which is a much bigger trail.

I missed out on the old Red Gondola cars as a souvenir.
Maybe some folks on the BOD will ask questions before they vote to approve the resolution for the new cabins at their next meeting.
Agenda has a resolution for lodge renovation at Belle too.
It’s Groundhog Day.
Both passed...
There was a discussion of the needs.
Gonna sell the cabins. Someone said Belle’s chairs all went in 9 minutes.
Next comment was “We didn’t charge enough”. Followed by chuckles.
Also talked about the red cabins lasting longer than the current ones.
They have different writings, stories & #’s on em so ya could be able to pick out yer favorites. Might save ya some cash on interiors designs.

Could be nice. ie. This our Tahawus Room...
Folks mentioned the little panels with the history on em and hoped they kept the tradition going... To be installed by beginning of next season.

I wonder if the new ones will have that new cabin smell. They should be nice.

For anyone on the hill today…for some insane reason the people who parked on the access road are all facing uphill. I wish I had a live feed to see what it turns into around 4pm. Heading to the satellite base area for the afternoon ;)

Crazy busy today (which still wasn't really that bad). I was on the access road at 8 and didn't get on the AE2 until 8:50 the traffic was backed up so bad. Also shuttles abondoned my lot at 8:30 (Lot E) which was NBD but would have been nice not to wait for it for 10 minutes before realizing that's what was going on. End of the day attempting to shuttle back had similar results with the driver going to lot G and F and then informing all us Lot E folks he was going to the ski bowl and we'd have to ride all the way there and back before getting to the lot. We all had a nice walk UP the access road from Lot F to end the day...but I digress....

The skiing itself was better than expected. Beautiful morning until it clouded up around 2. Showcase and Quicksilver from the gun was good. Topridge after was ROTD with sun softened snow. Summit all skiied good even Lies with only a few ice patches here and there. Headed down to BR around 1. Barkeater good-OK with some slick spots but good coverage. Boreas was open and was the same with some navigation of water bars. Best glade of the day was Abenaki (closed as usual for???). Finished up on Echo just before 3 which was skiied off and a couple Showcases that were surprisingly not skiied off even at 3:15 but too crowded.

Leaving the mountain took a little bit at 4 but not excessively long. People parked on the road just seemed to accept they would be stuck there for a while.

Oh yeah! Forgot Wild Air and Fairview opened today as advertised on social media and the snow report and much snow was being made on Rumor. If only all those things were actually true...again...I digress

PXL_20240203_165636563.jpg

I skied open to close, mostly avoiding the main base and sticking to the outer areas. Run count as follows:

Gondola - Ruby, Showcase
Gondola - Topridge
Topridge - Uncas, Lower Uncas, Tannery
Topridge - Pine Knot
Topridge - Topridge
Topridge - Uncas
Topridge - Ruby, The Loop, Pete Gay
North - Sleeping Bear
North - The Loop, Pete Gay
North - Tahawus
North - Wood In (after lunch @ saddle)
High Peaks - Cloud, Hullabaloo
High Peaks - Cloud, Lower Darby
High Peaks - Upper Steilhang, Santanoni
High Peaks - Cloud, Little Cloud
High Peaks - Lies
Straightbrook - Chatiemac
Straightbrook - Hawkeye
Straightbrook - Open Pit
Straightbrook - Headwaters
Straightbrook - Cloud, Lower Cloud, Tahawus, Pipeline, Peaceful Valley
Hudson - 46er
Hudson - Moxham
Hudson - Oak Ridge
Hudson - Peaceful Valley, Eagle's Nest
Burnt Ridge - Sagamore
Burnt Ridge - Echo
Burnt Ridge - Backwoods
Burnt Ridge - Sagamore
Burnt Ridge - Backwoods
Burnt Ridge - Echo
AE2 - Quicksilver
AE2 - Lower Sunway

Despite it being very crowded with cars parked all the way down the access road, it didn't feel crowded away from the main base and the morning on Straightbrook, which is why I waited until after lunch to go there.

Other than the usual Gore problems of inefficient lift operations and inaccurate snow reporting, it was one of my best days this season.

Pictures below:

Topridge
1000004298.jpg

Uncas
1000004300.jpg

Pete Gay
1000004301.jpg

Top of High Peaks
1000004309.jpg

Cloud
1000004310.jpg

Lies
1000004313.jpg

Headwaters
1000004316.jpg

46er
1000004320.jpg

Moxham
1000004321.jpg

Sagamore
1000004322.jpg

I skied open to close, mostly avoiding the main base and sticking to the outer areas. Run count as follows:
Despite it being very crowded with cars parked all the way down the access road, it didn't feel crowded away from the main base and the morning on Straightbrook, which is why I waited until after lunch to go there.
Other than the usual Gore problems of inefficient lift operations and inaccurate snow reporting, it was one of my best days this season.
Nice. I believe ya mighta won the hit em all ⛷️award.(y)

Back