Gore Mountain Conditions

Anyone been up today? Going this weekend but just curious how crunchy it is with the freeze up given they did get 6 inches of new snow on Sunday.

Also...when are they going to blow Rumor...they are blowing Fairview before it which is making me nervous....

Feb 1st night report posted Jan 31st.
"Some notable trails that will be open ungroomed are Chatiemac, Hullabaloo, Lower Darby, Woodchuck, Lies, Backwoods, Ward Hill, Twin Fawns, and Topridge."

"Snowmaking keeps pushing along! Our snowmaking crew is making snow on Fairview, Arena, and Wild Air."

Pushing piles so the air show goes on.

I missed out on the old Red Gondola cars as a souvenir. Still see plenty hanging in front yards. I'll have to start planning for the bigger cars? Double seater outhouse? Maybe a really awesome truck cap? Mount some wheels and have a Gore tag along camper or food truck? Cool vegetable stand? Or maybe the best ever ice fishing shanty! Think my choice would be the ice fishing shanty!
I'm getting excited. Can you imagine the excitement building at the reading of our will... who was mom and dad's favorite and will get Gondola 50? More likely, who gets "stuck with" Gondola 50. Kids just don't appreciate our classic treasures....

The guns were staged on Rumor when I was there on Sunday. It's the last "never skip" trail that they need to cover. I'd also like to see them hit Lower Steilhang, Pete Gay, and Twin Fawns before snowmaking winds down for the year.

they are blowing Fairview before it which is making me nervous..
Yes, Fairview got a noticeable bump up in the order. If I recall that was open with only natural snow last year leaving a single track out, so it will nice to have that lower portion filled in.

I’m really pleased with the sequence and methods this year despite my earlier comments about the lack of edge to edge of Twister and Showcase. Where in the past we would have seen multiple shorter rounds, seems like they’re going for one massive round on most runs, with a refresh only if necessary. Correct me if I’m wrong but I do not recall that being the norm in years past.

Feb 1st night report posted Jan 31st.
"Some notable trails that will be open ungroomed are Chatiemac, Hullabaloo, Lower Darby, Woodchuck, Lies, Backwoods, Ward Hill, Twin Fawns, and Topridge."

"Snowmaking keeps pushing along! Our snowmaking crew is making snow on Fairview, Arena, and Wild Air."

Pushing piles so the air show goes on.
They may not have groomed last night, but the report for Wednesday said the same thing and virtually everything had been groomed, or if it hadn’t it didn’t ski significantly different from what had. We skied every pod except Topridge and Ski Bowl (that one wasn’t open) and conditions were uniformly very good from Cloud to the bottom of Sagamore - a firm to very firm edgeable base with loose snow remnants of the storm on top.

I’m really pleased with the sequence and methods this year despite my earlier comments about the lack of edge to edge of Twister and Showcase. Where in the past we would have seen multiple shorter rounds, seems like they’re going for one massive round on most runs, with a refresh only if necessary. Correct me if I’m wrong but I do not recall that being the norm in years past.

Showcase has the challenge of not being able to make snow while the lift is open. So they either have to close the lift on weekdays to make snow, or only hit short windows at night. During the 2 weeks the gondola was down, closing the AE2 was not an option, so they never got it covered to full width during that time. They make snow on Sagamore and Wild Air while those lifts are open, but the difference in the level of skier on Burnt Ridge, the gondola being enclosed, and guns being further away from the lifts, make it less of a problem.

As for Twister, it hasn't seen the same level of snowmaking since they stopped using it for racing.

Reactions: SDC
Showcase has the challenge of not being able to make snow while the lift is open. So they either have to close the lift on weekdays to make snow, or only hit short windows at night. During the 2 weeks the gondola was down, closing the AE2 was not an option, so they never got it covered to full width during that time. They make snow on Sagamore and Wild Air while those lifts are open, but the difference in the level of skier on Burnt Ridge, the gondola being enclosed, and guns being further away from the lifts, make it less of a problem.

As for Twister, it hasn't seen the same level of snowmaking since they stopped using it for racing.
Dumb question - is it physically very challenging, or, instead (or maybe more specifically) would just coat everyone riding up in snow?

Back