Gore Mountain Conditions

How was it today?

Fingers crossed Sunday's storm brings fresh snow. My last two days at Gore have been packed powder. I am beginning to wonder if they will be my two best days of the season? I try not to ski on school vacation weeks, so that shrinks February. I taught for nearly 40 years so a mountain full of out of control teens is not on my to do list. Yeah, I know they are just having fun. In March I head to Florida. What once seemed like a long season is looking shorter and shorter. The recent rain and fog even made me contemplate re-gripping my golf clubs. But I fought off the urge, for now at least.
Tuesday - Friday of presidents week is really not too crowded. More people than a normal weekday but not nearly a normal weekend day.

Tom

Thanks. My grandson has the ISKINY Passport (fourth grader) so he has 2 days free at Gore, and some other NYS mountains. Gore is one of the mountains that DOES allow the passport to be used on vacation days! So that might be a good option vs the weekend crowds. He and I would be Bear Cub Quad and Sunway Chair riders which usually means shorter lines and less skier traffic.
Tuesday - Friday of presidents week is really not too crowded. More people than a normal weekday but not nearly a normal weekend day.

Tom

Another foggy/warm morning. The snow tonight will be welcome. Mountain skied really well yesterday despite the clouds and drizzle and it somewhat cleared up for the afternoon. At least it wasn't cold. Was a very fun day.

Just read the Snow Report for Monday. Gore's choices in lifts to operate is sure confusing. I realize it is a Monday but having both the Express and Sunway Chair not running? I will ski trails off the Bear Cub Quad but my daughter will be disappointed. Another breakdown issue? Or staffing shortage? So the only lift choices will be Cub Quad and the Gondola? For most... the Gondola will be the only choice. Disappointing.

The reason is that they are making snow on Showcase. The chairs were offloaded at the end of today. It's pretty common for lifts to be closed for snowmaking on the lift line trail, especially where the guns need to be placed close to the lift.

Since the gondola reopened, they've been running it, the AE2, and Bear Cub every day. The Sunway chair was weekends only. They should open Sunway in place of the AE2 tomorrow, but it's Gore so they won't.

Back