Gore Mountain Conditions

What various activities (besides skiing) are planned for the new Ski Bowl Lodge? The main purpose is a base lodge for the Ski Bowl. On one hand you talk about the problems Gore has hiring staff to run Gore, yet on the other hand, how will Gore operate a new $30 million lodge for skiing, let alone other activities, when they can barely have enough staff to operate the existing Gore where the Ski Bowl is rarely open?

The problem is ORDA is operating the largest ski area in NYS, yet they never seem to draw enough skier traffic to be able to justify keeping the whole mountain open 7 days a week (after all the trails are open). There are always sections of Gore that are closed mid-week. This has been the pattern for 20 years. Maybe they should spend some of that money getting more skiers on the mountain. Then they should spend another portion on employee housing.
You are only thinking in terms of YOUR interest, alpine skiing. Whether you care or not, Gore has become a center for recreational and competitive Nordic skiing as other venues have been lost due to lack of snow. And there’s the planned roller coaster zip line thingy planned for summer use. ORDA’s mandate is not just running 3 alpine ski areas. I know you think that all the money they spend on Mt Van Hoevenberg nordic and sliding sports, ski jumps and speed skating ovals is wasted, but that’s their job and it’s what they do.

This is a conditions thread but I know most of you aren't here daily as I am.

Gore has been crazy busy every weekday and insane busy on weekends since covid! Whereas whiteface is now dead, and Belleayre is now number 2 in skier visits behind Gore in the orda chain, seriously.

But the problem is that we do not have the workforce to run what needs to be run daily never mind the ski bowl, but orda has it's head in the sand. "They say" that the new lodge will be open year round. LOL Good luck with that BS:poop::cool:

And let's be realistic, If ORDA thinks they can support the new lodge, than why has not there been so much as a cup of coffee or hot chocolate been for sale at the ski bowl lodge in over 3 years??? I mean come on! They host XC races with sometimes up to 500 participants and not a crumb to offer:unsure: Yeah that's right, as all of you with teenagers know they're never hungry!:ROFLMAO:

But, Gore is day use area that is on fire, due to the sprawl that has been growing exponentially for over 15 years that is known as the Capital District. Those people that crowd the area daily are going home after their day, and rarely spend a dime in North Creek.

IMO of course, but I live here...

Last edited:
But, Gore is day use area that is on fire, due to the sprawl that has been growing exponentially for over 15 years that is known as the Capital District. Those people that crowd the area daily are going home after their day, and rarely spend a dime in North Creek.

Agreed. And with the zip line they will drive from lake george spend a few hours and return for dinner and lodging

Tom

But the problem is that we do not have the workforce to run what needs to be run daily never mind the ski bowl, but orda has its head in the sand. "They say" that the new lodge will be open year round. LOL

QFT
They don’t have the employees to run what they have but they want to add stuff with marginal value.

mm

Agreed. And with the zip line they will drive from lake george spend a few hours and return for dinner and lodging

Tom
+1
The zip line is a one and done thing. They couldn’t sustain the water park in Lake George. A zip line in North Creek will be gone in 5 years.

mm

If only an ORDA board member would buy property in the Crick. If that were to actually happen, I guarantee this would change.

How much snow fell last night? Gore is reporting zero.

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 8.29.11 AM.png

Tom
Or they will just go to the Great Escape all day for the same price. 🤷‍♂️

I don't know much about zip coasters, but there is already a little used/out of business (?) zip line on French Mountain in QBY/LG.

That zip coaster is going to be a tough draw, IMO.

The gentleman who owned Water Slide World in LG passed away. His family did not want to run the successful business anymore after that. Property sold for mucho dinero.
Zip line also in LG hasn’t operated in years. It is owned by the Karate Kid, Ralph Macchio.

Back