Gore Mountain Conditions

So something is going on with the new quad. Looks perfect for you, but it is down.

Having checked it out yesterday, I believe Gore has some great steps for beginners:

Magic Carpet > Bear Cub > Sunway > Adk Express

ETA: looks like Bear Cub is spinning today.
They made snow for a few days, let it drain yesterday, groomed last night, open today.

I received a Snow Guarantee for Friday when the Bear Cub Quad was down. First person I spoke to said it was only waiting for snow making to stop then would run? Second told me it was running? A third told me they could not get it to start? Finally got to the person who offered Snow Guarantee. I noticed it was also not scheduled to run on Saturday.... But now it appears to be back on line. Thumbs up! Kind of an important lift for many of us working our way to harder terrain step by step.
Different topic... Does Gore offer a Lower Mountain Only ticket? Here is the situation. My daughter may be taking our grandson (age 10) there to do a Mountain Adventure Lesson. I am absolutely sure she will stay with him during the lesson for support. What are her options? Other than buying a full price whole mountain ticket? When the very best she could expect is he might be able to try the Bear Cub Quad? I suggested she could do a lesson herself that included a reduced price ticket, but she said the times did not mesh well. Ten year old. first day, left unsupervised, not an ideal situation for sure. Is there a solution I am missing? Does not appear I will be going the same day.

I received a Snow Guarantee for Friday when the Bear Cub Quad was down. First person I spoke to said it was only waiting for snow making to stop then would run? Second told me it was running? A third told me they could not get it to start? Finally got to the person who offered Snow Guarantee. I noticed it was also not scheduled to run on Saturday.... But now it appears to be back on line. Thumbs up!
Yer first lesson for Gore is: ya gotta go to know.
Might notta been a formal ski lesson but the above still counts as a lesson.

Yeah, it was a lesson alright. Break downs do happen... and they did eventually make it right, kind of. Each time I have been there I have watched the beginner lessons. They do a nice job. That is one of the reasons I suggested our daughter take our grandson there for a lesson. But buying a full price holiday ticket for herself... to mostly watch him learn was a bummer for her. She could always not ski and just enjoy his lesson? Or maybe find that day when I can "do the watching" while she gets in some runs. Although I know she wants to be there encouraging him. He boarded last year so it will be interesting to see if skiing is easier? Or harder to learn?

Yeah, it was a lesson alright.
And one ya shouldn’t forget.
Break downs do happen... and they did eventually make it right, kind of. Each time I have been there I have watched the beginner lessons. They do a nice job. That is one of the reasons I suggested our daughter take our grandson there for a lesson. But buying a full price holiday ticket for herself... to mostly watch him learn was a bummer for her. She could always not ski and just enjoy his lesson? Or maybe find that day when I can "do the watching" while she gets in some runs. Although I know she wants to be there encouraging him. He boarded last year so it will be interesting to see if skiing is easier? Or harder to learn?
Does his skool or another local bump have a ski club program?
They usually start up in January and run for several weeks.
Greek Peak runs this.

Let the kid take a lesson by himself. Ski instructions are pros at what they do. Especially kid instructors. I'd bet he'll have a better lesson, and learn more, if he's by himself.
No intention of being the interfering , helicopter mom. But I doubt the instructor wants to send out a search team looking for "a mom in red coat with a white helmet" when he gets stubborn or crashes into the safety net. I just thought there might be a "mom or dad" type ticket when you know the adult will be on the lower mountain all day. We will work in out....
As for the school group mentioned... Our local mountain, West Mountain, does run after school lesson or open ski with a designated night. BUT his school does not provide transportation. That damn, my mom works gets in the way. We bought separate package for his snowboard lessons last year. Worked okay. But the kicker was neither the school package or on your own lesson package could be used on vacation weeks or holiday. So he gets a board and boots for Christmas and can not use the lesson package the Christmas vacation week, or MLK weekend, or Mid-winter vacation week in February. We did make it work but it was a bit haphazard. Gore would not be his regular lessons. I just liked their instructors and thought it would be a great intro....

Let the kid take a lesson by himself. Ski instructions are pros at what they do. Especially kid instructors. I'd bet he'll have a better lesson, and learn more, if he's by himself.
100% this.

@capecodbeach you got this.

And sorry I thought you were a dude!

Also 100% agree. My 6 year old sons first lesson (29 years ago)was by him self and he did great. Was skiing Hickory’s T bar top to bottom after the lesson at decent pace. Prior to the lesson he was sking with me and was very tentitive in a very tight snowplow, releasing his edges just enough to move slowly and then locking them up again. By the end of that year he was skiing the whole mountain with some serious black diamond trails.

Back