Gore Mountain Conditions

Today was a day of mixed conditions. It started as hard and fast and loose granular. Then the precipitation started as snow, then changed to sleet, and then freezing rain for the last couple runs. The snow and sleet provided a much needed refresh.

Run count is as follows:

Straightbrook: 7
Burnt Ridge: 6
High Peaks: 4
Gondola: 4
Hudson Chair: 4
Topridge: 2
Adirondack Express: 1

Total of 28

Pictures below:

20230325_084030.jpg

20230325_085843.jpg

20230325_094937.jpg

20230325_122310.jpg

20230325_121018.jpg

20230325_125620.jpg

20230325_144121.jpg

20230325_144733.jpg

A couple other things:

They were good about opening terrain this morning. Gondola and AE2 were open about 5 minutes early. Burnt Ridge was also open right from the start. Topridge was not open when I got to the top of the gondola on my first ride up, but it must've opened within minutes because by the time I got up the second time, there were people already getting off the lift. At this point, Straightbrook was already open as well. I wish they'd do this every day, because on busy days it really helps to spread people out.

Echo was initially not listed as having any racing, so I was pissed to find it closed in the morning. I guessed right that it would open in the afternoon, so I held off on going to Burnt Ridge until the afternoon, getting 2 laps each on all the Burnt Ridge trails. If they're going to close Echo for racing in the morning but open it in the afternoon, then they should put this in the snow report so those wishing to ski it know to wait until the afternoon to go to Burnt Ridge.

The grooming was good on most trails, and while some trails got skied off, patrol kept them open. When I was at Gore on President's Weekend, they closed so many trails for "ice" that were actually skiable, and I missed out on 46er because of it. I got to ski it today, and the headwall was not good, but passable, and worth it for the rest of the trail which was great, and even worth a repeat.

They closed the AE2 early to take off the chairs and ran the gondola until 4 instead. This means that tomorrow, the AE2 is going to be more likely to open on-time, because the grips won't need to be de-iced.

Anybody remember the countdown that Gunner started years ago at the bottom of the north quad? It reappeared at the bottom of the Hudson today. Nostalgia!
I was looking for that all season! I'm not excited for trout season but always thought it was funny. Glad the tradition has survived albeit late for another season

they should put this in the snow report
It’s not a snow report, it’s a marketing report. I don’t think that whoever prepares and posts that document before 5 pm the day before obtains any information from patrol, ops or even the calendar already up on the web site. It is strictly “good news only.”

Back