Gore Mountain Conditions

Hey I thought this thread was for Gore snow conditions??

Yesterday it was very icy/boilerplate in most places. It was a sheet of ice getting off adk express and going toward saddle lodge. Snow was nice on Twin Fawns, and Sagamore was ok. The rest was survival skiing. The winds were also brutal!

Yesterday it was very icy/boilerplate in most places. It was a sheet of ice getting off adk express and going toward saddle lodge. Snow was nice on Twin Fawns, and Sagamore was ok. The rest was survival skiing. The winds were also brutal!
Tough weekend after the rain and cold for sure. There was almost nowhere to hide from that wind!

Now we need some help from Mother Nature. Either another storm (doubtful) or that spring warm up (less doubtful).

our ability to ski boilerplate separates us from the sissies out west.

I didn't make it to the upper mountain yesterday, but I had a great time touring the Ski Bowl and Burnt Ridge.

Run of the day was Moxam, but everything down there was pretty good, and only that last little bit of the Hudson chair had wind. So it was probably the most comfortable part of the mountain.

By lunch time, it appeared as though the gondola was closed due to wind. So I didn't make it to the upper mountain. But all in all, I had a great time exploring a part of the mountain I don't usually get to see.

Conditions were great today. Topridge was Goldilocks just right around 10:30. North skied well into early afternoon at least.

Possibly my last day of the season, so a final thank you to all the workers that made it a good season. Mother Nature threw a number of curve balls early in the season and the mountain generally recovered in a day or two.

Tom

Possibly my last day of the season,
TC that is sadder than me posting the Ski Area Closing thread! :)

How many days did you get? Seems like a lot.

Among the reasons for the three state ski areas are to provide recreational opportunities for NY’s citizens, give an economic boost to economically depressed areas of the state, and provide venues to bring world class events to NY (see reason #2). That’s working poorly for North Creek (most of the WUG teams/officials were housed in Lake George) and not at all for Wilmington, which is withering on the vine. I haven’t skied Whiteface much, but when our kids were young we did some family ski weekends there, always staying in one of the almost empty mom-and-pop motels In Wilmington. The last time I was there it was down to one restaurant and the only store/gas station had briefly closed and just reopened. The only time the town fills up is for events like Ironman. Why do Whiteface skiers just gotta stay and eat in Lake Placid at triple the price? LP and LG don’t need any more of our money, they are bursting at the seams and real estate prices are through the roof.
I'm not sure when the last time you were in Wilmington was but it's far from withering. There are at least five restaurants open for dinner and another two breakfast spots. Property values have soared since the pandemic and although they have stabilized or even come down a bit, they're still double what they were in 2019. During the summer and fall the mountain biking scene continues to grow as more trails are developed or improved. The motels don't often fill up because most folks Airbnb it these days.

As far as staying in Wilmington versus LP, I don't blame anyone for wanting to stay in a beautiful touristy town like LP while they're on vacation. When I pick vacation spots, I am definitely thinking selfishly....but then again I'm probably thinking selfishly most of the time, I'm kind of an a**hole.

Back