Gore Mountain Conditions

any word/update on these conditions related items?
-Uncas closed Sunday....I chatted with a few patrollers but none could say why it was closed, other than there must be a reason.
-wicked diesel smell halfway down Topridge trail Saturday and Sunday
-Straightbrook quad not turning at all Sunday

Rumor was outstanding on Sunday---groomed pretty well and without the SBQ turning, hardly saw any traffic. It was a long loop to lap it, but well worth it. Was thinking they kept the other trails up top closed to help keep the line at Topridge triple from getting crazy? IDK

any word/update on these conditions related items?
-Uncas closed Sunday....I chatted with a few patrollers but none could say why it was closed, other than there must be a reason.
-wicked diesel smell halfway down Topridge trail Saturday and Sunday
-Straightbrook quad not turning at all Sunday

Rumor was outstanding on Sunday---groomed pretty well and without the SBQ turning, hardly saw any traffic. It was a long loop to lap it, but well worth it. Was thinking they kept the other trails up top closed to help keep the line at Topridge triple from getting crazy? IDK

Patrollers told me yesterday AM that Uncas was closed due to ice ("the rain totally killed it"), but I saw that they had opened it by the afternoon, rope was halfway across the trail + a "Caution: Snowmaking" sign just past the entrance. I didn't end up skiing down it though.

Rumor and Chatiemac were the trails of the day, both held up beautifully thanks to the limited traffic. My girlfriend and I had Chatiemac completely to ourselves... folks were either unwilling to skate from top of High Peaks or were unaware that it was open. We made the most of it!

Ironically, it was better without the straightbrook chair. Lift lines were still mostly short for a weekend but the closure kept the traffic down. None of those trails would have held up if Straightbrook was running. Lapping Ruby>Wood In was fast and fun for a change too.

mm

Agree 100% on Rumor and Chatiemac as ROTD and the reason for it. Kinda makes a case for not increasing uphill capacity. I'll take lift lines or the long way around any day over crowded trails. First run down Rumor was pretty sweet yesterday!

Patrollers told me yesterday AM that Uncas was closed due to ice ("the rain totally killed it"), but I saw that they had opened it by the afternoon, rope was halfway across the trail + a "Caution: Snowmaking" sign just past the entrance. I didn't end up skiing down it though.
Thanks for the updates gang. Freak local rainstorm Saturday night that I didn't get down in North Creek? Was open no problem Saturday day.....thatd be a heckuva microclimate.

Anything on the diesel smell or SBQ?

Agree 100% on Rumor and Chatiemac as ROTD and the reason for it. Kinda makes a case for not increasing uphill capacity. I'll take lift lines or the long way around any day over crowded trails. First run down Rumor was pretty sweet yesterday!
Good thing they did increase lift capacity so they have some breathing room in case a major lift goes down. Had they still had the double, there would've been no access to Rumor and the lift line would've been backed way up Wood In.

In this instance it was nice to have a redesigned, reliable lift as a back up route to the summit for sure. It didn't appear that the increase in capacity was much of a factor as most chairs went up with less than four people. After the initial surge to get to the summit, there were few people riding the High Peaks chair.

@snoloco what was the change in capacity from the HP double to the quad?

Gore masters - can you let me know what you think roughly will be open this weekend in terms of pods? I can't tell from today's snow report. I remember Gore does a thing where it closes a lot in early in the week, and last weekend I got a fancy email saying all pods open.

So please help this flatlander. Thanks in advance.

Gore masters - can you let me know what you think roughly will be open this weekend in terms of pods? I can't tell from today's snow report. I remember Gore does a thing where it closes a lot in early in the week, and last weekend I got a fancy email saying all pods open.

So please help this flatlander. Thanks in advance.
Open in terms of pods, please dont want to be too annoying.

Back