Gore Mountain Conditions

I got my first toboggan ride yesterday. The last I remember was making a half dozen nice turns on the top of Open Pit and heading left chasing my friends toward Lower Darby. I woke up in the middle of the trail right in front of the <-Cloud/Open Pit-> signs, some nice people following me stopped to help. First time I’ve ever lost consciousness from a crash in decades of cycling and skiing. I didn’t know quite where I was at first, I had (obviously) a concussion, also broken goggles, dented and cracked helmet, a scrape on my nose and a new injury to my left knee.
Many thanks to the skiers behind me who stopped to help and asked how I was when they saw me in the lodge later (Why didn’t I ever ask you how long I was out, which was the first question that everyone who treated me asked?), Ski Patrol who gave me a toboggan ride to base and treated me there, and Milo and my other friends who lost the rest of their day of skiing getting me and my car to Albany Memorial and then home.

Last edited:
Glad you are ok now Alfred. Did you collide with another skier? Or you have no idea because you were skiing alone?

Glad your doing well enough now to report. Thanks for sharing. I hate hearing about people getting hurt but it’s always a good reminder that what we do is dangerous and that life is precious.

Glad you are ok now Alfred. Did you collide with another skier? Or you have no idea because you were skiing alone?
I was last in a group of four, none of them knew I went down until they waited and then came back up on High Peaks.
I checked around me before I started down Pit and there was no one anywhere near me, so I don’t think anyone hit me. The skiers who stopped said they saw me fall but didn’t mention anyone hitting me. And I don’t remember anything after skiing the top pitch until I woke up. The snow was great, just crossed tips, lost an edge or just one of them things that happen?

What other symptoms beside memory loss? How bad is the knee? Did it get splinted?
A bit of a stiff neck and the same feeling in my head from other concussions. I was standing when Patrol got there and they asked me if anything else was injured, I told them I had a bump on the left knee. They were correctly more concerned with the loss of consciousness.
I could barely walk this morning but it’s loosening up now. a little localized spot of pain on the inside of the kneecap, no swelling or discoloration. If it’s not skiable by next week I’ll see the ortho.

A bit of a stiff neck and the same feeling in my head from other concussions. I was standing when Patrol got there and they asked me if anything else was injured, I told them I had a bump on the left knee. They were correctly more concerned with the loss of consciousness.
I could barely walk this morning but it’s loosening up now. a little localized spot of pain on the inside of the kneecap, no swelling or discoloration. If it’s not skiable by next week I’ll see the ortho.
Good news to hear you're ok and only a little sore. There was a slick spot right as you crossed to the left between upper and lower Open Pit yesterday that was hidden until you were on it, and it only takes a split second to take a fall and whack your head; I saw patrol with you and that was the first thought in my mind is that you had hit that spot.
Hope you feel better soon as we are hopefully going to have a very snowy March! (Postitive thoughts!) ⛷️ ⛷️ Pray for snow!

There was a slick spot right as you crossed to the left between upper and lower Open Pit yesterday that was hidden until you were on it, and it only takes a split second to take a fall and whack your head

This is a plausible explanation.

Back