Garden Harvest

Been picking a gallon or 2 of blueberries each time out picking lately.
Looks to be another great year for them and the picking is easy yoga.
Yellow squash are coming on strong along with cucumbers.
No red tomatoes yet.

Been picking a gallon or 2 of blueberries each time out picking lately.
Looks to be another great year for them and the picking is easy yoga.
Yellow squash are coming on strong along with cucumbers.
No red tomatoes yet.
Do you cover your bushes so you can get there before the birds? If so, would you post a pic of your setup?

Do you cover your bushes so you can get there before the birds?
Nope. Hounds get after the birds.
The 1 &3/4 year old beagle eats blueberries if ya hand feed him them.
Doesn’t have thumbs to pick his own and doesn’t bother eating the bottom ones.
He may get after some ripe drop grounders.
If so, would you post a pic of your setup?
There’s ~8 bushes, ~30 years old, planted for a Mother’s Day back then.
Another patch on the other side of the backyard ~dozen bushes planted ~10 years ago.
I put a little Miracle grow Miracid on a few times a year to help them grow/pH.
Hounds also help with nourishments year round...

Last edited:
Do you cover your bushes so you can get there before the birds? If so, would you post a pic of your setup?
My grandparents used to cover their blueberry bushes with a plastic grid net, maybe 1/8-1/4" holes simply draped over the entirety of the row of bushes from the ground on one side to the other. The birds could still get some berry's but it did help the yield, the net also would claim the occasional victim that would get caught up in it. I forage for my berries these days, it's a short picking window but I make a point to hit my secret spots as frequently as possible when the getting is good.

My grandparents used to cover their blueberry bushes with a plastic grid net, maybe 1/8-1/4" holes simply draped over the entirety of the row of bushes from the ground on one side to the other. The birds could still get some berry's but it did help the yield, the net also would claim the occasional victim that would get caught up in it. I forage for my berries these days, it's a short picking window but I make a point to hit my secret spots as frequently as possible when the getting is good.

I’ve got 22 bushes in a row, I regret not spacing them further apart. They’re 3’ apart . I used to put a plastic net on the row and lift one side pick and then the other side but they’re 6’-8’ high now. I gave up on covering them thanks to my neighbor who has 140’ bushes, the birds are fat .
I have no idea what he does with that many.

I barter with my friends for other goodie’s. Gooseberries and shrooms .

Attachments

• 74277758674__A3E20BAC-0BC7-474F-A128-C089B7E59743.jpeg
    74277758674__A3E20BAC-0BC7-474F-A128-C089B7E59743.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6498.jpeg
    IMG_6498.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 37
Back