Fish Tales

I've fished the Oswego river. It was years ago and we spectated at the areas where folks were snagging salmon with weighted treble hooks. We watched a few people miss fish and snag other people. Seemed dumb to me.

We fished the old fashioned way and spent 2 days figuring out how to hook and catch the fish legally. That means foul hooked fish don't count.
Fished the black river by Watertown 30 yrs ago
Boy did we come home with fish

7/31-Back to the EB. Moved around a lot and did some trolling and while I did boat a few nice white perch I was disappointed I caught no bass. Got to the little island at prime time (7-8pm). Immediately boated 2 pig smallmouths. I was alternating between a jointed shad rap and a 5" senko. Got to my favorite spot and pounded the area with the worm. Sure enough I got a take and when I set my hook I felt a heavy pull. My drag shot out and then the line was slack. Whatever that was it was big; tore that plastic worm right off my hook. I speculate a big smallmouth or a walleye.

Great day rowed a lot and weather was spectacular. Sometimes just hooking a big fish is enough to make the day extra awesome.

Last edited:
8/5-Rye Lake with Steve. Cloudy early and fishing was good for about 3 hours. Then it cleared up and the fishing really died. I always prefer clouds to blazing sun and the fish seem to as well, especially in August. We did catch a bunch of decent sized smallmouths while the fishing was good.

8/20-Rye Lake again with Steve. Took 2 weeks off to avoid the recent heat. More clouds today and we pushed off wondering if we would be dodging rain and lightning. But except for some light drizzle the weather was great. The bass were concentrated at big weed beds bordering deep water. Every such weed bed we fished at produced a few nice smallmouths. Plastic worms were the ticket today. For about an hour the sun came out and the fishing immediately slowed down. But fortunately the clouds returned and fishing the weeds was excellent to the end. I caught a bunch of fat smallmouths; the bottom pic was my nicest smallmouth of this season caught right in front of our boat spot at the end of our trip; I hooked it right after Steve hooked another smallie the same size in the same area. Our first double header of the season. Great day!
RL5.jpg

RL6.jpg

RL7.jpg

Got an old pic of me blocking out the p,i,e in front the wooden sign where this one was caught.
Might try to dig it out.
Crappies taste good. The a is pronounced ah.

8/27-RL again. Same weather as last Friday. More good fishing. Even boated a decent largemouth today. September is often a good fishing month looking forward to it. Also enjoying the frequent rain. That also affects the fishing very positively.
RL8.jpg

Back