Fish Tales

Yellowstone River Montana
Tremendous day fishing
Many fish caught
Way cool! What stretch are you fishing? I see Emigrant peak so you must be close to Livingston. Beautiful!

Way cool! What stretch are you fishing? I see Emigrant peak so you must be close to Livingston. Beautiful!
We were!!

We were!!
Check out Chico Hot Springs if you have time. They have one of the best dining rooms in Montana. Have a soak and a steak.

I have fished the Yellowstone in Wyoming in Yellowstone Park. That is a mighty river and a majestic place to be outdoors in nature. Caught the biggest of the few cutthroat trout I have caught in my life there, a fine 6 pounder. Wading on slippery basalt shelves in deep fast moving ice cold water was a thrill. What a healthy and vibrant fishery.

6/25-Another good day on Rye Lake. Beautiful weather. Lots of bass to catch. We both caught over a dozen bass each. Most were decent in size but it took me until later in the afternoon to catch good sized smallmouth. Pretty much the same story for Steve. Big smallies make for good pics but lots of fish and consistent action is what makes for a good day on the lake. Next day out will be on Sunday 6/27 on LI sound fishing for sea bass.
RL3.jpg
RL4.jpg

6/27-Headed out on LI sound from Clinton, CT with buddies Steve, Doug, and Mike.
Clin4.jpg

Clin5.jpg

Clin3.jpg

Steve and Doug bought this boat about 2 years ago and have just recently gotten competent enough to navigate about 10 miles out into the sound. Good range for stripers and blues. But this day was devoted to social fishing for sea bass. We fished about 6 miles from Clinton and the action was very good early as there was little wind and a slack tide so we were able to get our baits down to the bottom and the sea bass fishing was good.
Clin2.jpg

We kept 6 and they made for a great dinner. Mike caught the biggest of the day.
Clin1.jpg

By 4:30 or so the tide was moving out rapidly and the wind picked up making it impossible to keep our baits on the bottom even with a lot of weight. So we slowly trolled an umbrella rig back towards home. Outstanding day on the water.

7/16-Went to Bog Brook. Sunny and hot. Fish in general were not biting. After 3 hours the thunderstorms appeared on the horizon heading straight for us. We retreated to shore, had a few drinks and called it a day.

7/23-Went to the East Branch reservoir for the first time since late April. Today I made the effort to get out early and I was fishing at the little island by 6:55am. Clear and cool but no wind and the water looked scummy and green. No bites in my first hour. Then the wind started to blow and stir things up. I fished around the second island and then parked on the western shore of the little island facing into the teeth of the wind which was now around 10mph. Between 9-10 I caught 4 fish sitting in that same spot. Two were bass, a 12" largemouth and a 14" smallmouth.

So now I'm thinking the fishing is turning on. But so did the wind which was now blowing steady at 15 gusting to 25mph. I had to abandon the little island and fish the 2 big islands in the lee of the wind back to the boat spot. Fished the whole way back and caught nothing more. The dog days of summer approach.

This video is from when snagging salmon was legal in the Big O tributaries.
Tis narrated & shows how crazy some folks were to those fish.

This video is from when snagging salmon was legal in the Big O tributaries.
Tis narrated & shows how crazy some folks were to those fish.
Wow, that’s so fucked up

I've fished the Oswego river. It was years ago and we spectated at the areas where folks were snagging salmon with weighted treble hooks. We watched a few people miss fish and snag other people. Seemed dumb to me.

We fished the old fashioned way and spent 2 days figuring out how to hook and catch the fish legally. That means foul hooked fish don't count.

Back