Fish Tales

Ugh, that is sickening.
Folks have refined it now due to rules.
Used to fish the Salmon River after snaggin was outlawed. Had fun and caught some cohos,
Folks still obliterate the fish runnin upstream. Some look like pin cushions.
It’s worse in Oz as they have the dam there and the salmon can’t get any farther upstream.

11/7-solo at the East Branch on the special regulations stretch of the river. Last day of fishing 2021 for me. Had not been here since early May. I was concerned that there would be impassable brush and bramble growth due to the wet summer.
Should have brought my machete. I tried several entrances to get to my downstream stretch from Brady's Bend and was unsuccessful. A few times I got into brush so tall I almost lost my bearings.
So I gave up on that plan and decided that travelling in the river was the only way to fish today. I pushed my way through more brush to get to the riverbank and now I'm confronted with very high and fast moving water. I thought that I should give up while I'm ahead but of course ignored my intuition and moved towards the bank. I use this spot often to get in the water, it is a nice mid-thigh deep sheltered pool with a railroad tie protecting it from the current. All I have to do is step over the railroad tie onto a hard gravelly bottom. I get one leg over the tie and suddenly it sinks! The heavy rains have undermined the tie and it's teetering like a see saw. The momentary loss of balance lead to a wader leg and boot full of water. Cold water! My water filled left leg felt like walking with cement in there. Spent the rest of my time drying off and dumping water out of my waders. I think I made about 3 casts total.
lol the Gods have spoken. Skiing is here heading to K tomorrow.

So, slated for a full (and chilly) day of fishing for trout in the Riscoe/Livingston Manor area Saturday. Def will head back to Willowemoc, and we’ll have a chance to check out Lew Beach (Beaver Kill). We should have time to explore a bit more. Anyone have any other recommendations? Looking at maybe Mongaup Creek or Russel Brook for some quality wild trout. Any cold water trout fishing advice?

If there’s any other good spots for bass or anything else in the vicinity we could check that out as well.

get a burger at Roscoe diner. They have chargers so you can top off your Tesla while you’re there too

So, slated for a full (and chilly) day of fishing for trout in the Riscoe/Livingston Manor area Saturday. Def will head back to Willowemoc, and we’ll have a chance to check out Lew Beach (Beaver Kill). We should have time to explore a bit more. Anyone have any other recommendations? Looking at maybe Mongaup Creek or Russel Brook for some quality wild trout. Any cold water trout fishing advice?

If there’s any other good spots for bass or anything else in the vicinity we could check that out as well.
I hear good things about the fly fishing museum over there. Maybe check that out if you get tired of being skunked.

Roscoe diner and fly fishing museum both good calls.

Never fished that area past mid-October no idea how the fish bite this time of year.

Enjoy glad someone is still fishing in fresh water.

Back