Fish Tales

Fly?
Many years ago I was really into fly fishing. I'd go with my uncle for native brookies in the Dacks. Twas more like hunting.
I used fly fish for bass and pan fish. Need to start doing that again. Little poopers , so much fun

I like top water action, for me it’s all about the strike

I was just reading about mouse lures last night….
When I lived in Cooke City some guys came to the General Store to have their catch weighed on the certified scale. I don’t remember the size (it was something crazy like 30 pounds) but I remember it was a monster Lake Trout. The story goes, they rowed out to the middle of Beartooth Lake and set a live mouse with a hook on a floating board and yanked him off. They said after a couple nibbles from some small fish the monster struck, taking the whole thing. Some fly guys had luck with drowning mouse made from a rabbit’s foot in the deep holes of the Clarks Fork Canyon. I never had luck with them. Always had trouble trying to cast heavy lures with a fly rod. They say that’s how you catch the monsters though.

I like top water action, for me it’s all about the strike
Oh, for f#%k’s sake….when I finally catch my monster, and it’s not with a massive top water strike, it STILL won’t be good enough for you!? :ROFLMAO:

At least I have the baitcaster dialed in with the perfect amount of line to drop top water lures right on his house without getting hung up on the trees.

The big one that got away.
See, since we’ve been fishing that spot I’ve known that there are monsters in that deep corner there in that picture, away from the bluegill, sunnies and smallmouth. From the first time we fished that spot one June morning we could see big fish hitting on the surface, and twice I actually eyeballed said monsters in the water.
After an hour and a half this particular morning it wasn’t going well. Just as I was changing out to my Whopper Plopper 75 my son came over to say it was time to move upstream for a change of scenery. “Yeah, yeah….just a couple more casts”, which is never just a couple more, as he gets impatient….
Then, it happened. A perfect cast right by the trees there in the water and something hits, something BIG.

I will follow this story up with a picture of a monster from that corner some day, mark my words! There are big bass there looking to fatten up for winter and when I land one of them it’s going to be a fish even Jason would approve of, I can feel it in my bones…

Hula poppers and jitterbugs are fun topwaters ta use for bass and work.
The stiller the water the better.
Good luck, have fun.

Hula poppers and jitterbugs are fun topwaters ta use for bass and work.
The stiller the water the better.
Good luck, have fun.
I just ordered a set of hula poppers. The Whopper Plopper 75 is small enough to work like a popper as well. Thanks!

About 40 years ago my dad saw a add for fishing guide. Salmon fishing on lake George ?. So he booked the guy and invited my friends. We went up the night before, had dinner at the log jam. Of course he ordered the salmon. My friends went crazy saying it will jinx the trip. Well it did. We caught 2 fish the most expensive salmon in the world?

F71FF536-AF81-48AF-97D9-B727F680455E.jpeg

Back