Fish Tales

And for the record, I consider myself a south shore guy. Grew up there. There is a weird thing on Long Island where you are much more likely to know people who live 20 minutes east or west of you than you are north/south. I think it goes back to pre auto era when so much of the commerce travel was tied to the costs. Long Island is like 20 miles wide at its wides point, so I have always found the lack of south/north cross pollination.
I used to go flounder fishing in shinnecock bay. Now the drive is too much

Last edited:
The big one that got away.

Yeah, that’s not really what anyone wants to see in Fish Tales. You want pics of lunkers. However, all fisherpeople have their tale of that one that got away, and this one will, no has, changed me and my fishing. So, this time around those of you interested in reading on are just going to get a story….

28880BF4-C805-4EB9-8CCF-B16E201DFBDE.jpeg

That right there is the spot that changed things for me. Growing up I had times where I’d fished, but I’ve never considered myself a fisherman. However, my son got into it a year ago and fishing is something that has helped he and I grow closer over the past 6 months or so…..and this is a favorite spot of ours on Fishkill Creek not but a half mile from the center of the City of Beacon that we’ve fished a half dozen times or so. Beautiful spot with waterfalls nearby that always delivers a variety of panfish and smallmouth Bass, not to mention river otter sightings, the place where my son and I first took to putting on waders or getting our feet wet. That in and of itself changed our fishing, which seems a more intimate experience when you find yourself IN the water, but I digress….

Right, I’m here to talk about that one, THE one, that got away. See, since we’ve been fishing that spot I’ve known that there are monsters in that deep corner there in that picture, away from the bluegill, sunnies and smallmouth. From the first time we fished that spot one June morning we could see big fish hitting on the surface, and twice I actually eyeballed said monsters in the water. So, while my son always has fun further upstream with those other fish I always focus on that corner, that damned corner, and the monsters lurking below the surface. This last time out wasn’t much different than others, him catching a dozen of those other fish (including a nice 14 inch smallmouth, no pic) while I, AGAIN, was coming up empty in that damned corner.

Actually, as we headed to that spot this particular morning I even said to my son….if we don’t catch something in that corner today I’m giving up on it, having grown tired of coming up empty there. Perhaps monsters ARE just a figment of our imagination?

After an hour and a half this particular morning it wasn’t going well. Just as I was changing out to my Whopper Plopper 75 my son came over to say it was time to move upstream for a change of scenery. “Yeah, yeah….just a couple more casts”, which is never just a couple more, as he gets impatient….

Then, it happened. A perfect cast right by the trees there in the water and something hits, something BIG. Before I really know what’s happening whatever it was headed deep, putting a SERIOUS bend on my medium-heavy rod. Not knowing what to do with a fish as big as this monster had to be I fumbled the ball, so to speak. After a short fight with me probably doing everything wrong the monster was gone. F#%k!….but boy was that an exhilarating moment.

So, what do I do with that, and how has it changed me? Well, I’m sure as heck NOT giving up on that corner. The monsters ARE there, and I now know I CAN hook them….and from here on I’ll do whatever it takes to land one of them. How do I do that? Simple. I invest the time to become a better angler, from getting myself better tackle, to learning how to make better bait choices and how to work them, to brushing up on what to do when you do hook into a monster, and actually educating myself about the fish I’m trying to catch. In other words, that moment has inspired me to stop f#%king around, to put on my big boys pants, and to become a real fisherman.

I will follow this story up with a picture of a monster from that corner some day, mark my words! There are big bass there looking to fatten up for winter and when I land one of them it’s going to be a fish even Jason would approve of, I can feel it in my bones…

Last edited:
Great story jtg!!
All of my giant bass were caught in fla. I am fortunate that my in laws have a place right on a lake and canal system. I use a cheap Walmart rod and a spinner bait with a yellow skirt. I keep a extra bait in my pocket and a pocket knife and small rag.

Hopefully will be there this winter and will be targeting peacock bass and snakeheads. Both are extremely aggressive and exciting. Yea I will be upgrading my equipment for theses species.

Tight lines!!

A3138EA1-A5D0-4866-8BA9-1119BE339D7A.jpeg
A05A6593-91C6-4C31-8951-D482278A8037.jpeg

That monster is taunting me! He lives right under that arch. So glassy, I can see his wake when he swims near the surface. I’ll beat him though. I can get out on that big tree, so next time out I’ll tip a line right on top of him. But what bait to use? Maybe a shad or minnow, or perhaps rubber worm?

Grrrrr…..

Attachments

• 4E927152-F6D4-4AA1-8DB6-1FB11D53CD7D.jpeg
    4E927152-F6D4-4AA1-8DB6-1FB11D53CD7D.jpeg
    593.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 2C6EB17C-9491-4729-9E76-903F3F112801.jpeg
    2C6EB17C-9491-4729-9E76-903F3F112801.jpeg
    567.3 KB · Views: 42
Fly?
Many years ago I was really into fly fishing. I'd go with my uncle for native brookies in the Dacks. Twas more like hunting.
Yeah, fly fishing is the next rabbit hole. Those trout are wily, we were lucky to catch a nice one first time out. Probably all down hill from that.

I suppose there’s no reason a Bass wouldn’t go for a tasty fly on the surface….I picked up a bunch cheap at a flea market on the Cape recently.

Back