Fish Tales

0EF57842-ED1F-47F2-B19E-05500B954BD4.jpeg

Success!

After the Lew Beach recommendation I suggested we skip Aquaterra and explore more around Willowemoc and Beaverkill. My son still wanted to check out Aquaterra, which wasn’t fruitful and took too much time. We ended up with less than an hour at Willowemoc, but it didn’t disappoint.

That's a nice brown.
Thanks. I’m sure Jason will repost his Yellowstone trout picture, remind me what a REAL fish looks like! ;)

It was nice to target a new fish and new area and come away with something decent.

Question G, because I’ve noted your posts about Fishkill Creek. You ever fish Wappingers Creek? My son and I fished up at Greenvale park for an hour before sunset tonight. He snagged a little small mouth, but we really didn’t have much time. Planning on going back to spend a few hours sometime this weekend.

Thanks. I’m sure Jason will repost his Yellowstone trout picture, remind me what a REAL fish looks like! ;)

It was nice to target a new fish and new area and come away with something decent.

Question G, because I’ve noted your posts about Fishkill Creek. You ever fish Wappingers Creek? My son and I fished up at Greenvale park for an hour before sunset tonight. He snagged a little small mouth, but we really didn’t have much time. Planning on going back to spend a few hours sometime this weekend.
Years ago we fished Wappingers and had good luck with trout.

10/15-East Branch with Steve. Beautiful day. Awesome rowing. Good company.

Lousy fishing. I boated one decent sized yellow perch. Steve hooked and lost a few fish we never saw. Fish just were not biting.

I think I'm done with using a rowboat during what remains of my fishing season. Maybe another day of wading locally and another trip to Pepacton.

Soon the snow will fly.

Now that my son and I have gotten the trout bug we’ve started looking for stocked trout streams closer to home. Ripitz was nice enough to share a spot on Fishkill Creek that’s not public access. Nothing biting there, but a pretty spot to get your feet wet. Next time!

On the way home we hit the ever reliable pond close to our house. It seems to (almost) always deliver. Today was no exception, the bass were biting. I only caught one small one. I guess I have to accept that my son is just the better angler, always catching more and bigger fish. This guy was one of the bigger ones snagged in the pond to date.

846BACDB-E210-4A27-905A-86968C60C5F3.jpeg

Now that my son and I have gotten the trout bug we’ve started looking for stocked trout streams closer to home. Ripitz was nice enough to share a spot on Fishkill Creek that’s not public access. Nothing biting there, but a pretty spot to get your feet wet. Next time!

On the way home we hit the ever reliable pond close to our house. It seems to (almost) always deliver. Today was no exception, the bass were biting. I only caught one small one. I guess I have to accept that my son is just the better angler, always catching more and bigger fish. This guy was one of the bigger ones snagged in the pond to date.

View attachment 10702
Nice fish but not as nice as mine?

On the north shore of Long Island, the bait fish and the baby blue fish (called snappers here) are literally jumping out of the LI sound by me.

And typically the fishing on the South Shore is much better. The local fishing shop person told me that people are catching Tuna out of day party boats off of Rockaway (think of the bottom jaw of the fish when you look at a map of LI).

Fishing for Tuna and stuff like that changes year to year, but from what I hear this is a very good year. I think around this time there is a fall run of fish.

Happy hunting

And for the record, I consider myself a south shore guy. Grew up there. There is a weird thing on Long Island where you are much more likely to know people who live 20 minutes east or west of you than you are north/south. I think it goes back to pre auto era when so much of the commerce travel was tied to the costs. Long Island is like 20 miles wide at its wides point, so I have always found the lack of south/north cross pollination.

Back